Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build A Server From Old Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hey,

How can I build a File Server from an Old PC?
I have printed of many tutorials (many from lifehacker.com) but don't know which way to go about it!
Also could I set it up as a print server?

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

What OS are you going to use? Are you familiar with Linux at all?
Mark
File
Printer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

A server is simply a computer running 'special' software, and by special, I mean simply that it is software that serves up web-pages. If all you want to do is store files and run a printer off of it, then you don't even really need that. But as has already been asked, what OS are you planning on running?

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

yeah as groovicus just said, you can pretty much make a file server with anything

if the computer currently has a os installed, your file server is complete :thumbsup: now just setup some shares w/w-o permissions and you are set!
=)

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:56 AM

What OS are you going to use? Are you familiar with Linux at all?

I don't know what OS I am going to use! Yes I am familiar with different Linux Versions (including Ubuntu, Fedora, Slax - These are the Distros I have tried out on Virtual PCs).

Would Windown XP be alright as an OS for this or Windows 98SE?
Or could I install a version of Windows Server 2003? Please view my other post about splitting up a 'Multiboot' Windows Server 2003 Installation Disc.

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users