Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Internet In Nomal Mode - Xp

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sboook

sboook

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

I can't connect to the internet via either AOL or IE or Firefox in normal mode. When I run the IE diagnostics tool, it tells me it can't find anything wrong with my connection. When I reboot into safe mode with networking, I can use all these programs. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

How is your connection set up (router, modem, dialup, etc.)?

Safe mode doesn't load drivers, so I find it interesting that you are able to connect then. I've not seen a connection function without the appropriate drivers installed.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1643

Louis

#3 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

I am set up on a wireless network, and when prompted I chose the option to boot up in "safe mode with networking" . I imagine that option loads the drivers as opposed to regular "safe mode"

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

Thanks, sorry I didn't pay attention to that the first time I read your initial post :thumbsup:.

Any errors in Event Viewer (probably System or Apps tab)?

Might as well take a look in Device Manager also (for the NIC) both before and after you try connecting to the Internet. Seemingly, it's not a driver issue, but I don't know a lot about networking (or anything, for that matter) and maybe some other program is impacting the driver after boot.

Error messages when you attempt to connect?

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

I'd suspect that some other program that doesn't load in Safe Mode (such as tweaking or some security software) is blocking your web access. Take careful note of what programs are running in normal mode - then compare it to what's working in Safe Mode. Then try stopping them in normal mode to see if you can get access.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for your response Louis. I checked the event viewer and I found multiple errors in both the System and the Apps folders. The following two seem to occur in the System folder every startup:
1) The LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
2) The service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

These errors repeat in the Apps folder:
1) Faulting Application mcshell.exe version 7.2.115.0 faulting module gclite.dll version 7.2.115.0 fault address 0x000217a8
2) Fault bucket 375661374

I also checked the device manager and found a driver for LogMeIn that had an error. I disabled it for now. BTW it was under Display Adapters and it is called LogMeIn Mirror Driver.

As far as errors with IE7, I usually get the could not connect windowwith the standard advice....check your settings,etc.

Does any of this mean anything?

Steve

#7 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

I'll give that a try John.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Guess I don't know why you are using this LogMeIn remote access software.

I think that may be the problem and I would uninstall/disable it for a test period (if it were my system).

Of course, if you know of a good reason for it to be operative, it might be time for updates or a work-around.

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

It could very easily be the LogMeIn software that's doing this (depending on how it's setup).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

found a process "viewpointService.exe" running in task mgr. could it be causing problems?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

IIRC, viewpoint anything is nuisanceware, if not malware :thumbsup:. I remove it from any system I find it on.

Perhaps others can refute/verify.

Maybe you need to take a hard look at what is installed on this system.

Louis

#12 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Good advice Louis. Let me give a little history about this Laptop. It was my daughter's for 1 1/2 years while she was at school. I don't think she was too vigilant about protecting it (firewall,AV). She got a new computer recently and since I don't have my own Laptop, I asked for this one, figuring I could clean it up and get it running optimally. When I started working on it, I found some adware, and I think one Trojan and removed them. I noticed a program running in the system tray called Remotely Anywhere. Didn't know how it got there, was a little concerned. I asked her about it and she said a friend asked her to install it so he could look at her system and help her clean it up. I decided to remove it and I think that's when I started having problems connecting to internet. The LogMeIn program is either part of it or related to it, so I don't know why it wasn't deleted when I ran uninstall. I don't see it in the Add/Remove programs list, and the only place I notice it is a folder on the desktop but only in safe mode. I didn't realize it was related to RemotelyAnywhere until lastnight.

It has been a challenge trying to figure this out, I will try to remove LogMeIn.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

I've always had a rule about taking over/possessing systems which formerly someone else had control over...always, always just do a clean install of XP (or whatever O/S).

The analogy I think of: If I took ownership of an auto which someone else had been responsible for, the first thing I would do (since I cannot verify what is right and/or what is wrong) is take it to a reliable, knowledgeable person and have it thoroughly inspected.

With a computer, it's a lot easier...just do a clean install and not have to worry with problems/situations that have their root in someone else's care or lack thereof. At least then, I know that issues surfacing will be either my fault or a hardware situation (which I can deal with).

Like everything else, my approach doesn't fit everyone :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Yep, a clean install will ensure that there's no "leftovers" waiting to surprise you at an inopportune moment. Not just viruses, but quirks with the OS caused by installed programs also.

#15 sboook

sboook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advice Louis and John. Unfortunately, my daughter currently has the recovery disks, so I guess I'll have to wait until I can get them. In the meantime, I was trying to disable certain items in the sysconfig utility- startup and services sections (like AOL connctivity, registry booster, etc) and I keep encountering an error...An Access Denied Error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes...

I signed on as Administrator when I booted up. Is there somewhere else I can go to get admin rights?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users