Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Backup And Restore And Ghost 12

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mcphzgig

mcphzgig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

I have been experimenting with various backup and restore methods on my Toshiba Qosmio G30 with Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I am running a Windows Home Server (WHS) box that has been doing backups of the Qosmio for months. The problem is I can't restore them because of the boot structure of the Qosmio (via a hidden partition) and the need to load RAID drivers as part of the WHS restore process.

So I thought I would try using Norton Ghost 12 to save drive images onto a USB drive instead. The most interesting thing happened: when starting up, Ghost 12 extacted backup database information from Vista Backup and Restore. From this info, Ghost 12 appears to have decided that my XP and Vista boot partitions had already been backup up, and refuses to even see them as backup candidates. Not surprisingly, these were the very partitions I wanted to backup.

If anyone knows how Backup and Restore works behind the scenes, please tell me how to removed the "backed-up" status from a drive, so I can use Ghost 12 ?

Acronis True Image Home 11 has no such issues with these partitions. Presumably it and Backup and Restore don't speak ! :huh:

Regards, mcphzgig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users