Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jen42

Jen42

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm thinking about installing more memory, but I don't know how to start to find what to buy. I've looked up plenty of stuff on the net, and I've done scans of my system, I've even looked inside the computer. I'm finding heaps of different numbers and letters and words, but I don't which words/numbers/things I need to match up on. The memory inside has PC1200 and a bunch of numbers, do I need to get the same. The manual says my system supports DDR SDRAM DIMMS, is this what I nedd to look for? I've even gone to the crucial site, it told me which ones to buy from them, but they're overseas, I'd rather get locally.

Please help. I'm very confused.

Thanks

Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

Point of order, Crucial isn't an overseas company, but it is online-order and not retail AFAIK. Normally I'd recommend them, but they won't be an option if you want to physically walk into a store and walk out with product.

What's the make/model of your computer?
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

That's probably PC2100, not 1200 :thumbsup:.

Possibly useful data: RESEARCHUT -- Basic RAM Information - http://www.researchut.com/docs/meminfo.html

I find buying memory online much cheaper than dealing with local vendors, not to mention greater options.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

How I do it is by first finding out what memory is available locally. Corsair or Kingston are usually a safe bet. Then I head over to their site and run their memory search to find compatible memory. From the recommendations I choose what fits my needs best and then take down the Part Number. It is usually a string of letters and numbers (something like this: VS1GBKIT400C3). Armed with the Part Number I walk over to the local computer store and tell them I want this and give them the part number.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

Point of order, Crucial isn't an overseas company, but it is online-order and not retail AFAIK. Normally I'd recommend them, but they won't be an option if you want to physically walk into a store and walk out with product.

The main thing is that I don't want to pay so much in postage. I live in Australia

AMD Athlon

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

The main thing is that I don't want to pay so much in postage. I live in Australia

AMD Athlon

Oh HAH, yeah that would be overseas for you then, forget what I said.
AMD Athlon is a type of processor but it doesn't really tell us what your computer is (it isn't even very specific about which processor it is). If it doesn't have a specific brand name or model number we may have to look it up by the make and model of the motherboard to get an exact match. Although I'm betting what you're looking for based on what you've said before is PC2100 DDR, also sometimes referred to as DDR226. The thing you want to figure out now is how much memory you have, if you have RAM slots available, and how much you want to add.
Posted Image

#7 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:19 AM

[/quote]Oh HAH, yeah that would be overseas for you then, forget what I said.
AMD Athlon is a type of processor but it doesn't really tell us what your computer is (it isn't even very specific about which processor it is). If it doesn't have a specific brand name or model number we may have to look it up by the make and model of the motherboard to get an exact match. Although I'm betting what you're looking for based on what you've said before is PC2100 DDR, also sometimes referred to as DDR226. The thing you want to figure out now is how much memory you have, if you have RAM slots available, and how much you want to add.
[/quote]

Is this some of the information needed? I don't know a lot about these things, but I'm learning quickly.

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD 8366-8233
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board b
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6390
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 10/28/2002
Memory Modules c,d
224 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty

I'm not interested in a lot more memory, just a little more would do.

Thanks

#8 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:26 AM

Oh another name that might be it, Infotech.

Sorry, there are so many names around, I'm not sure which one is needed here.

Thanks

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

OK, that motherboard looks like it will accept either PC2100 or PC2700 DDR RAM. It will support a maximum of 2GB, meaning the max you can fill it up to is 2 1GB sticks, one in each slot. I would recommend putting in at least 512 total. You could add one 512MB stick, that added to your existing memory would put you up to 768MB which should suit you nicely.
Posted Image

#10 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

OK, that motherboard looks like it will accept either PC2100 or PC2700 DDR RAM. It will support a maximum of 2GB, meaning the max you can fill it up to is 2 1GB sticks, one in each slot. I would recommend putting in at least 512 total. You could add one 512MB stick, that added to your existing memory would put you up to 768MB which should suit you nicely.

So the only thing I need to look for is: 512MB PC2100 or PC2700 DDR RAM? All the other letters and numbers associated with buying memory don't matter?

Thanks again

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

Not too much no, it's pretty standard stuff. You want to buy non-ECC as opposed to ECC, but you're not likely to find that stuff sold in many stores, it's for servers generally. You can look for a low CAS latency if you want, but honestly you won't notice much of a difference. I can't think of anything else for you to watch for, except obviously you want regular run of the mill DDR, not SDRAM/PC100/PC133 and not DDR2.
Posted Image

#12 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Check Ebay i got 2GB (2 X 1024) of New kingston pc2700 for $80 which is not a bad deal considering best buy and circuit sell 1GB PC2700 for $130
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#13 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Thankyou everybody for your wonderful help. Now I'm armed with a bunch of stuff, and hopefully I'll find some some soon.

Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users