Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Newbie 'lost In Installation'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi,

I have plenty of windows (not vista) experience but am new to linux.

I installed Ubuntu feisty as a dual boot on my XP laptop. It wasn't used much since its a work machine and we use windows.

Now i've noticed that it won't boot ubuntu. after selecting in grub, it goes to a black screen with a cursor flashing topleft (_ not a prompt).

I thought i'd try installing gutsy over the top but can't get that to work either! It prints 'Kernel Alive. Kernel direct mapping tables up to 100000000 @ 8000_d000' and freezes. Some forums suggest removing 'splash' and adding 'noapic nolapic nosplash' to the boot line but it makes no difference.

And they say ubuntu 'just works'!

Perhaps my two problems are connected. Can I reformat my linux partition and try a fresh install? or will it screw up my grub loader and MBR and I won't be able to boot windows (NOT an option!)

Thanks for any advice.

I'm using AMD athon 64, nVidia 7300Go, 1MB ram

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

And they say ubuntu 'just works'!

Simon

Best place is in the Ubuntu forums. At first blush this sounds like a video configuration problem but there could be other things as well. See if there is an option to boot using the generic vesa drivers. Quick google shows -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/n...mon/+bug/138868

I have never dual booted with GRUB, only LILO and have never lost a Windows partition with LILO. You should be OK reinstalling but as always, defrag and backup the important stuff on your DOS partition.

I wish I had better news, but I have had more problems with *buntu than any other mainstream distro. If you decide to try some thing else here are my picks for user and hdwr friendly distros:

full featured distros ->Mandriva and PCLinuxOS (have used these for business for two years now), Xandros (xtremely well laid out and user friendly), Mepis, CentOS (boring but very mature) and for lighter distros-> VectorLinux, SAM Linux and Kanotix .

Hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 22 October 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#3 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:09 AM

I've just tried the latest Mandrake installer and that seems to have the same problem.

In text mode it locks just after the PCI business begins.

I'll try a reformat and clean install....

#4 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:21 AM

I've just tried the latest Mandrake installer and that seems to have the same problem.

In text mode it locks just after the PCI business begins.

I'll try a reformat and clean install....

before you try that, edit the GRUB boot line and append 'vga=normal' after 'splash'..... quotes are not required.

Edited by AnotherMindbomb, 23 October 2007 - 07:22 AM.

#5 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

Well, I am afraid that makes no difference :thumbsup:

The last line it prints, with splash removed and noapic added, is:

ACPI: Interpreter enabled

Although sometimes this differs, and sometimes it seems to be halfway through printing a line!

#6 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Well, I am afraid that makes no difference :thumbsup:

The last line it prints, with splash removed and noapic added, is:

ACPI: Interpreter enabled

Although sometimes this differs, and sometimes it seems to be halfway through printing a line!

Could you post your boot line from the GRUB menu please? There is a known problem with the framebuffer but it seems to be constrained to the the recently release Gutsy Gibbon release. You are using Feisty, I believe so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

It's a little drastic but if you have the bandwidth to spare you could download the 7.10 release, which has only been out for a few days) and try that - it may well solve your issue..

#7 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

Ah perhaps I didn't make myself clear...

I had feisty installed, but rarely used it and recently noticed it failed to boot.

I've since downloaded Gutsy and this is what I am presently trying to install. I've formatted the faulty feisty drives but that doesn't help.

I think it must be to do with my nvidia 7300 go gfx, and perhaps widescreen LCD. However, even booting the live cd in safe graphics mode is no better.

Thanks for your help, mindbomb

S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users