Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onlyforyou

onlyforyou

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:31 AM

hi all
I am seriously fed up with system reformating, everytime some problem erupts and I end up formatting laptop meaning that I lose all system configurations, softwares [that I have installed] and all windows updates. So I have to redo all which time taking headache. What I wanted to know if there is a way to preserve/backup/creat full system image of current working condition so that I dont have to formate from original recovery disc in case of some system problem. Is there any software. I need some expert suggestions because I have tried using inbuilt XP backup system. I usually back up System State and when I restore it paralyzes my system with multiple problems such a disabling key board etc etc..
thanks in advance.
looking fwd for ur advice
PS: I am using XP SP2, Toshiba Tecra M5.

Edited by onlyforyou, 22 October 2007 - 06:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

If you read the directions for using the built-in processes in XP, you will find that none of them are meant to be a 100% backup. Each does backup something that is considered crucial, but none will do the entire job (without limitations).

NTBackup is a workable solution for many, but it will not backup to optical drives. I've never used it, so it may have other faults evidenced when comparing to a 3d-party backup solution.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/backup_using_wizard.htm

There are all sorts of disk-imaging programs available. I only have experience with two (which now are one), Symantec Ghost and Powerquest Drive Image (Powerquest was acquired by Symantec). PQ's DI 2002 works quite well with XP today.

Other participants can give you their opinions, but the two most popular (seemingly) programs used today by casual users are probably Acronis True Image and Symantec Ghost. Info on each available at respective websites.

Louis

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

For a complete image of your working system, use something along the lines of Nortons Ghost(sorry, not freeware), or acronis true image(not freeware either?not positive...) etc.

it never hurts to have a copy of Hirens bootCD laying around (www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd)

but just for files and folders, nothing(well, im sure something can ^_^) can beat Karens replicator (www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp)

really simple to use, and extreley effective.
=)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

I use Acronis True Image on my Toshiba M45. Due to a peculiarity in this Toshiba (dunno if it affects other Toshiba models), it could not run ATI in normal mode - only in the ATI Safe Mode (which doesn't have USB support). So, I had to establish the Acronis Secure Zone to store my images on the drive. I can image from within Windows to a USB drive (but prefer not to do it) - so I am able to save images to another drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 onlyforyou

onlyforyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:34 AM

Doest it makes any difference if I make backups to external USB harddrive. Thats what I usually did with inbuilt XP backup utility and it failed on restoration. Is this the reason-using external disc.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

If you store your backup on the same drive that you've backed up (in, for example) a separate partition - you're in trouble if the drive dies.

Backup strategies get sorta complicated the longer you work with them - but the best thing is to keep them away from the system that you've backed up, and to keep multiple copies of them.

For example, at my wife's office, we backup daily to:
1) a separate hard drive in the same system
2) another hard drive in another system in the office
3) over the internet to a hard drive at my house
4) to CD's (when I remember :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users