Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popup Window For Loader.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richwill

richwill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:26 AM

Hi,

My son's laptop has started displaying a popup dialog box when he starts the system up. the error message is below

"windows cannot find loader.exe make sure you typed the name correctly then try again to search for a file click the start button and then click search"

This dialog box obviously has an OK button and normal window close,zoom,minimize etc. This normally happens just prior to live messenger (i think that's the version he's running) starts.

I've run as-aware 2007 against the system and installed AVG and ZoneAlarm. I've checked various sites which seem to think this could be a malware problem? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally I was wondering whether this could adversely effect wireless connectivity or could I be barking up the wrong tree and looking at a separate issue?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I'm wasting your time, but I'm at a loss as to what it may be.

Rich

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richwill

richwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

Just as an update. I'm working through (albeit slowly) the Hijack This file I posted yesterday and have come across the entry

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tsnp2std] C:\WINDOWS\tsnp2std.exe

doing a wider search on this seems to indicate that this is some form of malware.

there is also

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C:\WINDOWS\system32\V0260Ext.ax] C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSvr32.exe /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\V0260Ext.ax

about which I can't find any information (in english) but it does worry me that something is running regsvr

if anyone can please advise on the above I'd appreciate it. I will also continue to work through the rest of the file.

Thanks again in advance

Rich

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:28 AM

Hello richwill and welcome to BleepingComputer!

Apollogies for the delay. If you are still having problems please post a brand new HijackThis log as a reply to this topic. Before posting the log, please make sure you follow all the steps found in this topic:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

Please post the HijackThis log within your reply instead of as an attachment.

Thanks,

Johannes

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users