Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Private

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

For nearly two months I have been getting lines appearing across my display. I had a pc look at the display itself and was told that there wasnt anything wrong with the display. I had my suspisions that it could be the video card - the pc is an old Dell Dimensions XPS 800r which makes it about 7 years old. The pc shop also suggested that I take it along to them to get it checked out.

Before doing the later, I was wondering whether anybody can tell me how to do a diagnosis test to find out whether the card is the problem? Also, if the video card is on its way out, could that explain why my pc is getting slower and slower to the point of sometimes not being able to open a program when I want to.

Many thanks for any help and sorry if I have been long-winded in the process.

Private

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

Have you tried another monitor to eliminate that as the problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pete07

Pete07

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:30 AM

Not sure on the monitor, but for the computer slowing down, have you been defragmenting your PC regularly? If it's not defragmented, it can slow things down a lot over time.

#4 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:03 AM

They tested the monitor itself at the pc shop. The one Im using is a flat screen. The only other I can try is an old CRT one which is pretty heavy, but if you peeps think that it is work the check then I will take one tomorrow to work and give it a go and see. Thanks for the tips.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

Pretty much guaranteed to be a faulty video card, especially if the existing monitor checked out OK displaying on another unit.
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

Worth a look, IMO:

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

I always think that Event Viewer is the place to start when trying to pin down a system problem.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2007 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users