Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

I know several people that have ZoneAlarm Free edition and are wireless on a cable connection. A few weeks ago after the update, they were blocked from the internet. They didn't change any settings, we checked them all. No locks were on. When we shut down the ZA everything worked fine. The settings show that it is denying the access, but can't find a way to correct it.
We uninstalled them and reinstalled. One is working fine, but the other is now blocking downloads and emails. I have ZA on wireless on 3 computers with DSL and have had no problems. Doing a Google search I find that many people are having similar problems, but no real solution.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or information on this problem. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Is IE/another browser allowed internet access? (2 green checks)
Is svchost (Generic host services) allowed to be a server in the trusted zone? (3 checks, no more)
Is the internet zone set high?
Is the trusted zone set medium?
Is the loopback address trusted?
Are the DNS servers trusted?
Is DHCP server trusted?
Is the local network (router I suppose) trusted?
Is the TCP/IP matching ipconfig /all?
If ZA settings in the zones matching ipconfig /all?

All answers should be yes.

Non-ZA section. Any chance the cable provider uses some sort of filtering?
Have you tried a wired connection first to know that the router etc is working?

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thank you Tos226,

I would have to check their settings. One of them uninstalled theirs and they are with a different cable provider in Florida. This other one is in VA and still has it installed, I believe, if she didnt uninstall tonight.
She started losing her connection earlier. Both have no problems with their wired connections to the same router. Seems like an update occured and the problems started, neither person changed any settings and had been using ZA for quite some time. I will see if I can check the settings tomorrow.
Thanks again.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

There's one item in my list which might cause problems (assuming all others are ok). If the wireless connection is safe (through a router or ISP, and not wild hot spots) then I'd classify it into the Trusted Zone, as the Internet Zone restrictions might be too severe.

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thank you Tos226, I will give that a try. I didnt get by to work on it today, but hopefully tomorrow. I will let you know.

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well, I will not be able to check the settings, they were having so many problems, they uninstalled ZA and are using the Windows firewall for now. I guess we will try the Comodo and see how that goes. I will keep your information, just in case anyone else comes across the same problem. Thanks for all of your help !!

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi, I may have found a solution in the ZA forums. Possible corruption of ZA files and the fix given:

Reset your database; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
4. Reboot into the normal mode.

Again, I have not been able to test this, but I received another call today with the same problem, under the same situations.

Thanks for all of your assistance. I will post back if I get the chance to test this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users