Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allow Only 1 Administrator In A Pc--is This Possible? How?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 canager

canager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Is it possible to only have ONE administrator in a PC -- that is, others will therefore only be either, Guests, Limited Users, etc.?

I need to make this happen so other users of our pc won't mess with the programs, like delete documents, files, & even antivirus programs.

Please help... thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

Canager-

I read your other post as well. Sounds like you've got some pesky users on your hands. Of course you can set accounts to 'limited' from User Accounts and use Group Policy to limit access to Taskmanager.

But I'm thinking you might like to use Returnil instead. This has just been made free for personal use. Returnil places the entire OS in memory. When the computer is shut down, everything that happened during the session disappears. Everything. Changes to settings, saved files, installed programs, everything. No changes to the System partition/disc are kept.

The program can be set to start with Windows, and can be password protected. It can also be set not to run in Safe Mode. It will be extra work for you as Admin if you want to install/uninstall or save to the system partition. You'll need to boot to the password protected Admin account in Safe Mode and then use the Returnil password to temprarily turn off automatic protection. At the end of your session, you can then reset Returnil from your normal Admin accout.

Using Returnil in this way will mean that no one but you can make any changes to your system. Everything that happens during the user's sessions is just a 'computer dream.' It happens only in memory and is gone at powerdown. AND there will be no way for them to access Returnil.

You can throw a bone. Files saved to a CD, external hard drive, or thumb drive are real. Returnil protects the system partition, and if your C:\ is one big partition, (mine is) the whole disc is protected. Tell them to bring a thumb drive if they want to save anything. Or burn it to CD.

It will be possible for you to retrieve things from the 'Virtual Partition' after turning Returnil off from Safe Mode but the Returnil password will be required even there.

I have actually installed and used programs under Returnil, and after reboot--Gone! No trace. Nada.
I think this might be the right tool for you.

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index...rvspersonal.htm
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

There IS only one administrator...but admin accounts can be established, with varying privileges. A user with admin privileges can be enabled to do many, if not all of, the same things the administrator can do.

XP Home or XP Pro?

Louis

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

to secure an xp computer, you would need to password protect bios and disable booting to the cd, but cmos is easily cleared with one jumper

at the next level you would need to set a password on the default hidden admin account in safe mode

after that it's relatively easy to delete all but one admin account(not the hidden one/ that's your failsafe backup) or change other admin accounts to limited users

anything private should be in your my docs folder and made private

anyone trying to get on one of my computers would need an arm transplant
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 canager

canager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:48 AM

Just to let u guys in deeper into my little "dilemma", the PC i'm referring to is in my mom's house. i seldom visit her & hence i seldom use d pc. but when i use it, i use programs w/c need a secure PC. i've installed AND REinstalled antimalware (antivrus, firewalls, etc) & i've yet to STOP reinstalling (not to mention REdeleting virus, worms, etc) since my pesky & stupid brother deletes & REDELETES them ALONG w/ my important files & programs. His reason? "it slows down the PC when he's playing online games". AS IF the PC\s specs are FAST ENOUGH for online games.

Also, almost DAILY, i notice that my Admin account, w/c is password-protected, "loses" its password, meaning when i log in, it just goes through (w/out asking for a password). i think my brother removes my password DAILY--i think by him tinkering w/ the User Accounts in the Control Panel. He also has an Admin account. Only Admin & Limited accounts are available as options in Control Panel>User Accounts.

I need to put an end to this "REDELETION & REINSTALLATION" saga, in one way or another. & this is where your suggestions would come in.

hamluis/Louis-- it's an XP Pro. do u hav more specific suggestions?

DaChew -- lol... pretty good & drastic suggestions there. I noticed anyone who goes to the ContolPanel>UserAccounts can have an Admin account. is that accurate or not? is there a setting/settings that is/are lax in our PC?

1101doc -- great idea. if not now, i would definitely be able to use your Returnil suggestion in the future. i'd try first your 1st suggestion (Group policy etc.)

Thanks for all your replies. i'm not as computer-adept as you guys are, but i'll try all your suggestions. I might come back for any further help needed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

I don't have a version of XP Pro, but it is easier to secure than XP Home (against users).

Of course, there is no defense against a user who refuses to not screw up a system, so I don't really know how much you can do, other than to suggest that your brother be responsibile for his own system (and its malfunctions) and your mom utilize her own system (without networking with his).

Others here have experience with XP Pro and you should wait for comments from them.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

xp pro does allow you to make your my docs private(encrypted) on a ntfs partition

make sure that your is the only admin login from normal mode
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

There must be consequences for bad behavior - otherwise the one who behaves badly won't learn from it.

FWIW - my kids have been without internet of their own for 6 months. Just because they wouldn't stop getting infected (and wouldn't pay the price that I demanded to repair them). So they don't have internet access as a consequence of their poor behavior with the systems on my network (the systems are so infected that they can't connect - but the bad guys are still trying to get into my system, so I blocked their IP's in my router).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users