Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A Question About Passwords

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tomkae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

Recently, while attempting to boot into XP Home SP2, I received a message..." C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt".

I'd made an install cd from system files so I thought I'd try it.

Ran Setup and selected "r";
told it which system I wanted to repair and it asked for a password;
entered it (Admin. password) and it said "wrong password". I also tried just hitting Enter.

Fortunately, I had my registry backed up and fixed it that way

The original install, was from a Mfg. Restore disk using Norton Ghost . If there's someone else's password entered, how can I find/change it?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

The key word here is PASSWORD. Since there is no way to verify the ownership of the computer any work on trying to get the password or getting around it would be not in the best interest of this site. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the computer and maybe they could help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users