Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop Cs3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 latino209

latino209

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD WAYS TO USE THIS... ITS SORT OF COMPLICATED TO USE... I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE MY PICTURES HAVE NICE EFFECTS TO THEM...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hey latino209,

Please refrain from using all-caps for your whole post, it seems like you are shouting.

As far as your question, what would you like to do with your pictures? There's a lot of things that you can do with Photoshop. If you give me some ideas, I can help point you in a direction. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

It's not so complicated once you get the hang of it! Layers can be a bit confusing at first, but you get used to them after a while.

As Noot said, give us an idea of what you want to do, and we'll go from there. Some good advice is to keep it simple for now-start small and work your way (baby stepping) towards bigger and better!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 latino209

latino209
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Oh sorry about that i kinda didnt notice i had them on... umm well i would like to customize just the background... for example with me being in the picture without me being effected but add some cool designs to the background... is there any good tutorials out there that could help me out?

#5 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

There are tons of sites that help with Photoshop tutorials. Some might be for outdated versions of Photoshop, but some of them can still be very useful. :flowers: As far as I'm aware, I don't believe there were too many changes from CS2 to CS3. So, if you do have any in depth questions that none of the tutorials cover or cover as much as you like, I can try to help you. :trumpet:

As far as to what you'd like to do, you might want to start by using the magnetic lasso tool to select you and put you in a separate layer from the background. This way, you can play around with the background and not affect you at all.

This site: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop...rbps_3aleaf.htm explains how to use it, even going into to using the Quick Mask tool, which will help get the areas that might be a little more tricky to get.

Once you begin to read this: "Next the selection is inverted (Selection > Invert) and the background is deleted by pressing delete on the keyboard. Make sure your image is on a layer before hitting delete. If the layer palette shows only one layer labeled background, you must promote it to a layer by double clicking on the background in the layers palette."

Ignore it. You don't want to delete the background. Instead, you'll want to copy and then paste it(Note: Make sure that the background has been turned into a layer for this to work. To do this, just double click on the background and a window will come up, just click OK and you should see 'Layer 0'). It'll keep it in the same spot, and yet you will be on a separate layer from the background. Unless of course, you plan on putting something else in place of the background, then you may continue with the tutorial and delete the background.

Now, if you want to manipulate the background, you can use the effects and/or play with the brightness/contrast and/or Hue and Saturation. It obviously depends on what you'd like to do and what look you are trying to achieve.

Brightness/Contrast and Hue and Saturation are both located under Image>Adjustments menus. Make sure that 'preview' is checked so that you can see what it'll look like before you hit OK.

Effects are located under the Filter menu. You can also preview these prior to hitting OK. I usually go to Artistic>Colored Pencil, and another window will pop up, along with other choices. If you click on the colored pencil choice, you can use your arrow keys to move through the choices and see the effect on the left.

If you are looking to delete the background (or you can do this with your background as well) and add some designs or another photo to use as a background, you can always look into scanning in things and maybe using them as filter effects, or using photoshop brushes to create different effects.

If you have a scanner or even a digital camera, you can use anything that might have any texture or design. I also have a folder of textures that you can use if you'd like. I can send them to you if you wish. Either way, you can load any texture, as long as it is saved in the .PSD (Photoshop Document aka Photoshop's native format) format.

Here is a site explaining some more on how to do that: http://www.sketchpad.net/texture1.htm

In short, what it is explaining is once you've taken something you've either scanned or taken a picture of, load it into photoshop quickly save it into a folder and save it as a .PSD file. Then, you go to Filter>Texture>Texturizer and there should be a small arrow next to the texture name box beneath the 'Cancel' button. Click it and it should say 'Load Texture', then click that. Search for the folder where you saved your texture and load it in. Automatically, you can see your texture on your image. You can play with the direction of light, the scaling, relief and if you would like to invert it.

As I also mentioned (I apologize if this seems overwhelming, as I know Photoshop must be new to you, I just want to show you some different things you can use and do in Photoshop. I can explain anything more in depth and create some step by steps for you if you need it), you can use Photoshop brushes. All you have to do is google 'Free Photoshop Brushes" and hundreds of sites will appear and you can go from grunge, floral, trees, stars, etc etc. Those you can download and you will just load them into your brush sets within Photoshop. I believe they will explain that and how to do it, but if not:

Select the Brush tool, go to where you would select your brush and next to the 'Master Diameter' slide, there is an arrow, click that and select Load Brushes. Here is where you will load the brushes and obviously, you can select from there the brush you'd like to use. You can create different effects and looks by using brushes.

You may also want to look into this website: http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/photoshop Where there is other things you may want to do, including using textures, photo effects, regular effects, etc. Here you can search on your own and explore and it'll help give you some ideas. There is also a basics section where you might want to start if you'd like to get a good handle with Photoshop and become more comfortable with it.

Again, I apologize if this is overwhelming, but I wanted to give you a slight scope with what you can do. If you need anymore help, I, and I'm sure stevealmighty, can assist you if you need any further help. I do hope that I've helped you and that you do have fun exploring and learning Photoshop. Also, I'm going with my own version, CS2, with helping you locate things. If anything isn't as how I showed you here, let me know and I'll help you find it!

Good luck, latino209. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."

#6 latino209

latino209
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

Thanks Noot i really do appreciate it :flowers: ... i guess i got lucky becasue i entered some contest and got it for free i have looked up the price and i see its a good 1000 bucks... but like using the textures like you said i want to use a background from some other photo and take myself out from another to be put in the one used now..... but how can i take myself out a picture without nothing of me being cut off or somthing around me being in it.... i have heard of messing around with the layers like the red, blue colors of the photo... but i only seen it in white backgrounds and the background i have has trees mountains and stuff on it and i think i would be pretty much impossible to make it perfect... by using the lasso tool it still might have parts of the background that i dont want even if i get it as close as possible and if i use the other tool to automatically select myself it would do the same... if you could help me out with that i would really appreciate it... thank again noot your a very big help.... :thumbsup:

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:43 AM

Wow-great post Noot! :thumbsup:

latino209, check the help menu, and there should be a tutorial there on basics. You can also check the Adobe website for tutorials for using the program.

To pull yourself out of a photo, you'll need to use the lasso tool, and completely trace yourself, ending where you started (to close the loop, so to speak). Then do Edit>Copy (shortcut is CTRL+C). Get the new image, go to Edit>Paste(shortcut is CTRL+V). Now, when you paste yourself into the 2nd image, you'll create a layer (the cut out picture of you will be a layer). I think that this is what people are talking about when working with layers. You can resize the layer by going to Edit>Transform (CTRL+T) and resize to fit (hold down shift while moving box will keep it proportional). When you're done, try going to Layer>Flatten (press ALT+L, let go of both then press F). This will flatten the image getting rid of all the layers, making it easier to save.

Keep with it, Photoshop is a tough program to learn, but you'll get it! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thank you stevealmighty!

As he said, latino209, you can bring you into a new layer. If there happens to be extra background, just erase it!

Keep at it latino209, the tutorials will help you learn the tools and show you some different tricks. Keep playing around with it and you'll pick up some things of your own. You're always learning new things (believe me, I'm still learning new things as I play around and read on tutorials).
Posted Image

#9 latino209

latino209
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

Much appreciated guys i got the picutre i wanted :thumbsup: ... but like You said Noot the more i play with it the more i learn

Thanks you once more... :flowers:

#10 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Awesome!! I'm glad you were able to get what you're thinking of!

Good luck on your future Photoshop endeavors! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Have a look at Pixel Perfect whit Bert Monroy. It is a show where Photoshop guru Bert Monroy shows how to do different interesting things in Photoshop.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users