Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Edition/ Office Installation Permission Problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 realmgeorge

realmgeorge

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

Had a power outage that caused me to do a system restore on my Windows XP Home Edtion computer. After that I would try to run windows, and would get an error that said "Not installed for this user" even though there was only 1 user. Tried to delete office but it was not listed under add/remove programs. Now when I try to install it, it gets all the way to the publishing product part of the installation and then says:

"Error 1317: Setup cannot create the folder C:\Windows\Installer\variouslettersandnumbers . Verify that the path exists in your system and you have sufficient permissions to update it." I had tried changing permissions in safe mode (due to windows xp home) and that hasn't worked. The HP people said they have no idea and to call microsoft. You guys are my last hope before spending buku bucks to speak w/ Microsoft.

XP HOME
Firefox/IE
Avast Antivirus
Adaware

I also cannot update to service pack 2 now. Windows will download the update, but when it trys to install I end up getting an error.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well, it seems that you have several situations that need address.

a. I suggest you run chkdsk.

b. I further suggest you uninstall/reinstall Office 2003 (seems to be a problem only with that version).

c. If not a legitimate copy of XP (question arises in my mind), consider leaving it uninstalled and using Open Office.

d. A repair install of XP (up to current standards) appears to be in order.

e. Check Event Viewer for errors, particularly re the hard drive.

Louis

#3 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

My Xp copy is legit, came with the HP. The HP doesn't have a restore disk, just a partioned part of the hard drive to restore. Please define what you mean by Open Office, and how would I do a repair install of XP up to current standards?

Well, it seems that you have several situations that need address.

a. I suggest you run chkdsk.

b. I further suggest you uninstall/reinstall Office 2003 (seems to be a problem only with that version).

c. If not a legitimate copy of XP (question arises in my mind), consider leaving it uninstalled and using Open Office.

d. A repair install of XP (up to current standards) appears to be in order.

e. Check Event Viewer for errors, particularly re the hard drive.

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Open Office is an alternative to using MS Office, take a look:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/

Doing a repair install is predicated upon possession of an XP CD. A restore/recovery partition won't work in lieu of a CD. From what I read, the recovery partition will not eliminate data files, but it will return the O/S and programs installed to the state it was when bought. Seems like a partial win situation (no data loss, but apps must be reinstalled).

But, you do have a valid license for your XP install...which means that you can borrow/burn a CD from someone who actually possesses an OEM (maybe an upgrade or retail version) MS XP CD...and use the CD along with your valid license to do a repair install. I don't remember at the exact point the license will be called for, but it will happen.

Louis

#5 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Where would I find my license info if I were to do that? Is it listed under the control panel somewhere?

Also, would a repair install just repair windows, or would it erase all pre-existing data on the pc? Thanks again for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

The tag is usually affixed to the computer, if an OEM sytem purchased from a major manufacturer.

If a home-built with a user-install of the O/S, it should be on the license/OS booklet for XP.

A repair install will leave data files and program files intact. It will remove all critical updates to XP back to SP2, which can be downloaded/reinstalled by going to WinUpdate after the repair install is complete.

Louis

#7 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I have a friend w/ an XP Pro disc, can I use that if I have xp home?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Negative.

Must be the same O/S. XP Home is not XP Pro, even though the names are somewhat similar.

Louis

#9 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Gotcha, so do a repair install w/ an xp home cd. Correct? How do I initiate the repair install?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

XP Repair install how-to: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

Alright. Problem part 2.

So the repair install worked, however the product code listed on the side of my puter (hp pc pavillion) does not worked. Contacted hp and they said a repair disk (which I foolishly never made) would have fixed it, even though they referred me to microsoft when they initially couldn't help me. Anyway I need 2 product codes (I have 2 computers with this problem). Is my best bet to buy 2 copies of Windows Home XP off Ebay and just use the product code? Any other suggestions guys? Thanks again for all your help!

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

It's cheaper to buy the disks from HP (about $20 each) than it is to buy XP. You'll get them in 4 or 5 days and they'll work with the product keys on the side of the computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

So even if I did a repair install w/ someone else's windows home xp disc, the disc from HP will still work?

#14 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

Okay, HP told me they don't have the discs because the agreement w/ Microsoft has expired. I already installed Windows from someone else's XP home disc on 1 of the 2 computers with this problem, that computer now has the Microsoft Validation and the old key from the computer doesn't work. My understanding is basically I have to buy 2 copies of XP Home in order to get these computers running. My question is, if I buy a copy of XP Home w/ a valid License, can I just input the key on the computer I already did the Windows repair install on? Will the full versions available on ebay like here: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Microsoft-Windows-...1QQcmdZViewItem

help me fix my problem. If not, what do I need to do to basically get 2 valid License for XP Home and keep these computers running? Any help is appreciated.

#15 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Right now youre having trouble activating with the old keys? There should be an option to call in and activate it(as opposed to online). Its all automated and takes a while, but if you go through it and it still doesnt work, itll connect you with a real person. Explain to them your situation and they should help you fix it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users