Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bizzle

bizzle

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

a long time ago here i made a topic about getting a new video card for a laptop, but i found out i couldnt because my video card is integrated. i have heard of external video cards that you can plug into a usb port. can somebody explain to me how this works or if it works? my video card is basically garbage and cant run any games i want to play and i want a new one. would getting an external video card work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

I heard rumors of these before, and the ATI R600 (also called the x2900XT) was supposedly to also come out with an external version and I guess it never did. The best thing would be to get a new computer. I'm assuming your talking about a laptop which the graphics cannot be upgraded.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Tennessee Redneck

Tennessee Redneck

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

I'm not sure about the external video cards but I do know the external sound cards simply plug in via a USB port and the computer instantly will recognize them as new hardware. They are good quality and fairly inexpensive.

#4 bizzle

bizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

(sorry everybody for my lack of computer lingo and knowledge)

yea i googled an external video card adapter that can plug into a USB port and i found this
http://www.everythingusb.com/iogear_usb_2....card_12787.html

But i noticed i have the VGA port or w/e its called on the side of my laptop. This is what it looks like Posted Image

Except it doesnt have to two screw holes on the side. does this mean i could plug in a video card without an adapter?

although i may be wrong and thats just for connecting it to a monitor...

Edited by bizzle, 21 October 2007 - 05:12 PM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

The VGA port on your laptop is just so you can use an external monitor.

That card is really only for multi-display options , its probably worse then your integrated graphics are for gaming. I guess its for people who don't have a VGA port in their laptop, or only have one video display port on there desktop computer, that want multi-display options.

Sorry.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

I would imagine if they ever do come into being it will be more of a pass-through device similar to something they had back in the early '90's. One company that made one of the first flat screens used one. A very nice monitor still prized by gamers, but worthless without the device. A video adapter, sufficient for gaming, through a USB port just doesn't sound like it will be that great
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 October 2007 - 06:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 bizzle

bizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

i wouldnt need something that great, the one i currently have has problems running counter strike and halo... those dont even have good graphics.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Yes, but this external card you sent a link to is worse then anything you got now for gaming. I was reading the article, and it said they were only getting like 15-20FPS in a game from 1999... I don't think you could even look at the menu for counter strike source with that. You would just be better off buying a new computer.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

Video is only part of the equation. There's also the CPU and memory to think about. Extra processes running in the backround also add to the problem
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

IF you have a reasonably new notebook and it has an Express-Card slot, then maybe something like this will work for you - Asus XG Station external GPU.

Sorry, but that may be some big "IF"s there.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XG_Station . Unfortunately, this is not released yet. The problem you would have is trying to run any high end video through a usb port, the bandwidth for usb is rated in kilobits per second, but video runs in Mb per second. The added issues on the card you gave the link for include the lack of support for direc draw, which is essential for the games that you are talking about.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users