Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autochck.exe Failed To Start

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bobbyman

bobbyman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

hello. this is an urgent problem. when i started my computer today I did my regular schedule of updating my applications. As I saw that my avg antispyware had been deactivated, I decided to install it again. After that I chose not to boot again as I decided then to also install spy sweeper firewall as my current comod firewall was not working well for me. I chose to uninstall comodo and inbstalled spy sweeper firewall. Afterwards spybot's teatimer alerted me about a possible virus coming from installing this and so I chose to block this. After this, I restarted my computer adn found out that before the boot screen, there was a message stating for no autochck.exe found. I thought it weird and so tried to log in. It would log in fine and I would see my wallpaper background. At that point the screen would logout and save my settings automatically. I tried to see if the problem could be fixed by safe mode or by other means but it didn't work. Could someone give me some help and advice on this? I really do need the help and I thank you for spending some time to read this and to try and help me. Is my data going to be lost? I hope not because it really is some important to me. Well hope someone will reply and give me some help.

Edited by bobbyman, 21 October 2007 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Have you tried starting windows with the "Last known good" startup option?As you haven't been able to log in since installing the program, this may rectify your problem.

Press F8 as your computer is booting, and you should get the boot options,where you can select Last known good configuration.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

When you say AVG anti-spyware was deactivated, do you mean the system tray icon was greyed out? While AVG anti-spyware is free, it's a trial program. After the trial period it wll not update or run automatically. You have to do it manually. Still a nice app. I like it better than Spybot S&D
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 October 2007 - 05:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

Autochk.exe is run by Windows XP to determine if any of the hard drives were involved in an unclean shutdown.
If it's missing and Windows can still boot, windows should replace it from it's backups (System File Protection)

Start -> Run -> "C:\windows\system32"

If asked, click "Show the contents of this folder"

Look for autochk
It may or may not have the .exe visible (depends on your settings)

If it's not there, run SFC
I'll try to find a good how to guide somewhere

If you can see SFC, then Autochk has been fixed by Windows

I'm not certain why your PC's restarting automatically.

Your best bet is probably to boot into Safe Mode, and post a Hijack this log to the HJT forum

Hope this helps
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

well thank you for all of the help i have been getting. for the responses:
1. yes I have tried to start windows in "last good" configuration and it didn't work; the problem still existed.

2. what i mean by avg anti-spyware being deactivated was that i installed the program several weeks ago and when i tried to use it recently, it said for me to reinstall the program again. that is why i got and reinstalled avg anti-spyware.

3. for the third response, my pc isn't rebooting automatically. what i mean is that i am able to get to the login welcome screen and i can still log in, but when i do log in my computer starts to log me in, but then it automatically logs me out after i have done nothing. i just see my wallpaper for several seconds after logging in before seeing that i log out again. for that reason i cannot access the run command in the start menu. also booting in safe mode gives me the same logging in and logging out problem, not allowing me to perform a hijack scan and log.

in the process, i have tried to find autochck.exe in the C:\windows\system32 folder and it is still there for some reason ( i was able to access this folder through using the linux knoppix live cd but i have not tried to overwrite any files as of yet). I don't know why my pc is showing an autochck.exe missing if in linux i can still see the file there in the folder. Maybe my autochck.exe is corrupted. Is there any way for me to solve this problem? Thanks for all of the help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

May be of some use:

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

The keys to using this command seem to be:

a. Have an XP CD at hand for insertion. This will be used to replace any files which seem to warrant such.

b. If your system is updated through SP2, your CD must reflect SP2 also. If not, you will get a message to the effect that an earlier version cannot be used to complete the operation.

It probably would be wise to run chkdsk from either the Recovery Console (chkdsk /r) or from My Computer (put check marks in both boxes, Fix Errors and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors).

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#7 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hello again. In response to the previous poster, I cannot run chkdsk in xp in my computer because i cannot get to even the boot screen. what do you mean by using the chkdsk in recovery console. Could you please explain. I still need help solving this problem and any help would be grateful. To clarify, I cannot boot into the windows environment, meaning automatic log in and log off.

Edited by bobbyman, 23 October 2007 - 10:15 AM.

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

If you have a proper XP disk (not a Recovery Disk), when you boot from it yuo get the option to install windows or use the recovery console.

If you choose the recovery console, you get a DOS-type prompt. If you type CHKDSK /p [enter], then it will check your drive for errors.

If the computer is now booting without giving the message about autochk, then that issue can be ignored for now, you can run SFC later to try to fix it.

Personally, I would try to repair XP using your setup disk, or backup my files using a linux CD and reformat/reinstall/

Edited by tswsl1989, 23 October 2007 - 10:52 AM.

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#9 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

hello again. i did go into the recovery console and did the chkdsk /p command. it told me i had one or more errors on my disk. so i used then chkdsk /r command, which i don't know if it helped. then going to windows boot screen again i try to log in but then the message of autochck.exe missing is still there, even though chkdsk works fine and i still see the autochck.exe file in my c:/windows/system32 folder. If i have a corrupted autochck.exe file, how do I replace it? Also what do you mean by using setup disk to repair windows? And would it be feasible for me to make a linux partition in this state so that I can install linux and transfer personal files to that partition? or would it make my hard drive unstable?Thanks for all the help so far!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

Please read:

Accessing The Different Methods of Repair Available in Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/repairing_windows_xp.htm Scroll down to the section on Windows Installation CD - Repair...

TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 I don't believe this statement about IE not working afterwards, seems like I did a repair and IE 6 worked (I did have to reinstall IE 7). But I'm wrong and running fast in my Senility Race :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

thank you very much everyone. hamluis your advice did help and my computer is now working properly with no autochck.exe error when booting the computer. However, should I be concerned if certain things did not reinstall correctly when repairing windows installation files. When I repaired it, there were messages of wab32.dll, msoe.dll, inetcomm.dll, and directdb.dll not being able to be installed or is corrupted. These files all are from the C:\Program Files\Common Files folder. Should I be concerned??? Everything else is operating ok right now. Hope you can answer last of my questions. Thank you all for helping with the problem!

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Those dll's are for Outlook or Outlook Express. Have you tried your email client to see if everything works?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

hello again. i have tried my email client and found out it doesn't work so I tried to download the program or respective dll's to find out that I couldn't connect to the internet. upon checking, I found that my LAN and broadband connections were no longer in the network connections window. i found out that my ethernet drive had some error when checking the device manager. i then fixed that (i think) and i tried to get onto the internet by making a new connection. internet worked after that but there were still some other minor bugs, such as internet explorer not working, though i did uninstall it according to the windows website. i guess it didn't uninstall after it. i downloaded sp2 because my recovery disk only covered up to sp1 and yes, i connected through the internet using a router firewall. i then did updates. now this is where another problem comes up. when i tried to reinstall/repair my avira antivir antivirus program with a new one, my computer gave me a BSOD. i then rebooted and tried it again. didn't work and same message showed up. i then tried to uninstall manually from the add/uninstall program control panel. the same BSOD. is there a reason for this to happen? can anyone help me? any help is appreciated.

#14 bobbyman

bobbyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

oh and another little problem that has occurred. when i try to access my change default applications menu, nothing happens. the same thing occurs when i try to search for something on my computer with default windows search. when i search with copernic there is no problem. could you also tell me what is the problem? thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users