Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pannad

Pannad

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

I've searched on here and found ways to retrieve lost bookmarks in Firefox,
but twice now I've lost them after an update, the first time I managed to
retrieve them, the second time I cleaned everything out before i knew F/F
had updated.
So, is there any way I can protect my bookmarks other than backing them up somewhere?

Thanks Pannad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Something isn't right if you are losing your bookmarks after updates. But try this extension. I use it. Every time FF is closed it saves a backup folder for each day of the week in a location of my choice. It also saves a lot more. You can choose from the options. It's easy. You don't even have to think about it once it's set up the way you want.

Description

Bookmark Backup is a simple extension that helps to keep your bookmarks (and optionally other Firefox settings) safe. Each time Firefox is closed, a copy of your bookmarks file will be made to a backup location. If Firefox's bookmarks become corrupted or lost, find the most recent uncorrupted backup and copy it into your profile folder. By default the backups can be found in the Backups folder inside Firefox's profile folder, though this location can be changed in Bookmark Backup's Options dialog.

Additionally, thanks to code contributed by Nickolay Ponomarev, other files may also be backed up along with the bookmarks file. You can specify which files to backup in the Options dialog. Just check the box for each type of setting you want backed up, any other files can be listed in the following text box separated by a | character. Please refer to Henrik Gemal's profile directory information page for details about what data is stored in each file.

Please remember, this extension should be used in addition to a regular profile backup not as a replacement.

Note: Bookmark Backup 0.4 and above requires Firefox 1.5 or above. If you're still using Firefox 1.0.x or earlier you should Install Bookmark Backup 0.3.3 instead.

Note: Firefox 1.5 now makes its own backups of your bookmarks, therefore this extension is only useful if you want to backup other settings or to control where the backups are stored.

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=bb&page=6

Edited by mommabear, 21 October 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

This problem could be caused by a corrupt localstore.rdf file in your profile folder.
Close Firefox.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters
Locate, and delete, the localstore.rdf file.
Restart Firefox.

Firefox will generate a new localstore.rdf file.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users