Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Additional Fans Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hi!
I was hoping to get myself a new video card and noticed that heatsinks and fans come preattached with your card. I found some reviews saying like "it generates alot of heat, buy more fans". "Buy" is my worst enemy. I don't wanna spend too much on just one card, from buying power supplys, and other hardware. Are additional fans really needed. Doesn't the fans and heatsink on the video card handle the heat and airflow to keep things cool?
Thanks bleepers
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

I beleive what they mean is the card generates and dissipates allot of heat. What that means is the temperature inside the case is going to rise. You need to have a properly vented case to get as much of the hot air out and fresh air in so the other components don't overheat. What kind of computer is the card going in, and what kind of cooling are you already using IE: how many fans and where are they?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Well I really haven't opened the case yet, but it is a HP Pavalion a1520n. I don't know about the amount of fans but I can tell you that it came with AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 6150 LE, 1 GB of RAM, and an SLI-capable motherboard. Other than that, I'm limited of info. I'm gonna open my case once I actually upgrade.

Here are my stats: http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Hewlett-Packar...enter-A1520n-PC

Edited by phoenix_124, 21 October 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Routing the cables so they won't block airflow will help. My main concern, depending on the card you get, is your power supply. The specs. on your link didn't give it. Buying an extra case fan is only a few dollars
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

It's power supply is 300 W, and going to upgrade to 450W, 500W or 550W. I'm trying to get either a 8600GTS, 8800GTS, or a upcoming 9000 series cards. What is your opinion. How much fans do I need to cool this monster from blowing up and destroying everything else on my computer with it. My computers have those kinds of air holes where it air can enter through, so you think that's enough?

Thanks guys!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Others here are much more knowledgeable on video cards. If I'm not mistaken the 9000 series is for VISTA and DirectX 10 Like I said, I'm a noob at video cards. When you open your case you'll notice where the air intake is in the front. It's probably pre-punched for a fan to fit there

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

Make sure you have at least 26a on the 12v rail(s) for your power supply if you want to get an 8800GTs or better. Also, a high quality 500 watt or better power supply is recommended.

Your cooling might be alright. Just make sure there's good airflow!

Edited by Sterling14, 21 October 2007 - 05:35 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users