Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jaiisun

Jaiisun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

I recently received a new system, but on realisation, it wouldn't suit the desk I had- so, instead of replacing the desk;
I mix-and-matched my new system with my old one.

I added 256 stick of RAM...
put in a new CPU fan...
added firewire...
and added a 80GB hard drive (in addition to my 80GB drive).

Since I acquired the hard drive from a friend, I needed to format it- which I have done.
But now, I am wondering how to move all my program files to the new (F:) drive and leave my existing (C:) drive for all user's documents etc.

How would I go about doing this?

Or do you have any other ideas on what I should do?

All help appreciated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

If the drives are the same size...what is gained by going through your projected maneuver?

As for moving program files...I'm pretty sure the consensus is...programs should be as close to the O/S as possible. And the idea of moving program files is not a good one, I don't think it can be done with any degree that the programs will function properly thereafter. Cannot be done, that is, without reinstalling them (the programs) and pointing the install to the other drive.

Program and O/S files on my systems take up about a total of 10-12 GB...I would not gain much by relocating both, if such were possible without reinstalling.

Data files have no need to be on a C: partition, IMO.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:38 AM

If both hdd are IDE types you can make the old drive the master and the new on the slave and access them both, use the old drive for you OS and the other for files. This link will take you to a site with a tutorial on how to make this installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users