Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Banners and ads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:15 AM

Ever notice that no matter where you go there are banners and ads everywhere...and I believe that they are at the root cause of malware and spyware development. I'm sik of bannars and ads. The day a mcdonalds add appears below the mound is the day I stop watchin ball. Hockey is already ruined. Well hockeys another issue...its actually a twice baked potatoe now...and I wouldnt watch it if some one paid me. But a few years back at least the Ice was clear of adds...boards to for most part. Look at a hockey rink now...well last years pics...mcdonalds and beer ads all over the ice.

Anyway...can I make my computer block bannars? Can it be done??? When I wuz a college boy I knew a kid that had linux setup so he never got bannars. But can this be done on windows? Thanks. -joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:39 AM

Two simple steps will help:
- Install Pop-Up-Stopper
- Click into IE Tools/Internet Options/Privacy Tab/Advanced and click on 'Block Third-Party Cookies'

Hope this helps!

#3 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

Actually...for anyone reading this that does help...tremendously. I have it so i'm prompted. But I wanna kill all banners. Al of them. I don't even want any info from them to reach comp. ty joe

#4 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:49 PM

Get Firefox
http://www.getfirefox.com
and use it from now on...its better thatn IE.

Then go
Here
and download and install that extension using firefox.

After that you will be able to block any ads and banners including flash ads, just right click on them and press adblock, when you do that it is best to block the root direcotry. Like if the entire directory was:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ads/banners/computerfun.jpg
(just an example)
Then you would delete some of it make it say
http://www.bleepiongcomputer.com/ads/

and it will block all ads that come from bleepingcomputer :flowers:

I do this everytime I visit a webpage, so I have a HUGE list of blocked ads. :trumpet:

***HAPPY 100 POST FOR ME*** :thumbsup:

Edited by The Trip, 14 February 2005 - 01:49 PM.

#5 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:47 PM

Halfway there. Got firefox...really like using that anyway [just got it a week ago]. Thanks a lot. -joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users