Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slowing Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 username12345

username12345

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

I have my computer running for over 2 months now and it seems like every day that goes past it gets slower! Does anyone have any idea on what could be slowing it down? Because when I first turned it on everything was running really fast. For example if I opened any folder it opened in about 1-2 seconds but now it takes longer then 15 seconds.

Edited by username12345, 20 October 2007 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:33 AM

Could you provide us with your system specs (system make and model, processor, RAM, hard drive, video card, etc). If you don't know this info, you can find it with this free download: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Also, please take a look at your Event Viewer. To do this, go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the + sign by Windows logs, then click on both the Application and System logfiles. Please note any errors that you see.

Finally, please go to Start and type in "perfmon.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter. Click on the Reliability Monitor and let us know what errors show up there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 username12345

username12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:55 PM

1.73GHz Intel® Celeron®M Processor 430(1Mb L2 Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus)
15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display
80GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive
512MB DDr2 SDRAM (1 Dimm)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (64MB Available RAM)

Event Viewer:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

Your machine is generally a little underwhelming when it comes to running Vista, but the bad block is the biggest problem. Run chkdsk c: /f /r in an command prompt (you get one by writing cmd in the start search).
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

I've got an Acer laptop with only 512 mB of RAM (and Vista Home Basic), I've also run an older Toshiba with beta versions of Vista Ultimate on only 512 mB of RAM. While RAM isn't the only problem that could be causing the slowdown - it's the most likely one outside of the bad block on the hard drive.

A bad block will cause the computer to search more times for the data it needs - which will slow the system down since accessing the hard drive is usually the slowest part of running Windows. After the bad block problem is fixed you'll probably still notice the slowdown. FWIW, I put another gig of RAM into the Acer the other day and it picked up a bit (but not as much as I'd expect 1.5 gB to do) - but this is an office computer, so it may be related to things that the users have done to it. My Toshiba runs Vista Ultimate quite well with only 1 gB of RAM (I use it when traveling) and I have no issues with it (although I have tweaked the performance settings a bit).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users