Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard keeps dying?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ethe1w1n

Ethe1w1n

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:18 AM

A few months ago, my monitor started playing up - going blank. Powering down for a while seemed to get it going again. Usually on restart, the BIOS or CMOS would say the settings were wrong. I thought it was overheating, but when the monitor finally stopped working altogether, my PC shop diagnosed a kaput motherboard and I bought a new one.

Now it's happening all over again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it? Could it be a "dirty" power supply? If so, how can I tell?

Appreciate any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:37 AM

Take the power supply to your local shop and have them test it...Also, bad power supplies sometimes smell like cat urine. I guess I have never heard the term 'dirty' power supply (which means nothing). Either they work, or they don't. They are not that expensive to replace. My local comp. shop sold me a 500W for $38.

Edited by groovicus, 14 February 2005 - 10:40 AM.

#3 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

Can you reveal what type and make of motherboard ? I have heard the term "dirty " in reference to electrical power. It refers to a power source that has a lot of spikes and swings in amplitude. Hence that is why some , installations require a power regulator (cleaner ? ) to maintain the power requirements. Most computers use 5 & 12 VDC.

In power supplies like anything else you normally get what you pay for. A bargain basement 18 dollar one is not going to perform like a 75 dollar one. Power supplies are not mentioned when everyone list their stats on their machines. Yet it is tantamount to trying to run a race car on economy grade gasoline..I will not build one with a cheap power supply as you are only asking for problems.

Also how recent did your shop replace your motherboard. Their work ought to carry some guarantee with it. If they misdiagnosed the problem this should be their worry and not yours.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users