Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. Reinstalled Xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

My sister computer had crashed, so we went out and bought a windows xp cd - when I went to install it, I came up to the point where it said Paritioned1 or Unparitionedspace. Well, when I went to installed XP I clicked on Parititoned because the unparititoned space was too small. Did I do this correctly.

Secondly, how can I set up an internet connection use my DSL modem and router for a desktop and a laptop.

Finally, I would like to set up network, where we can view each others files and share a printer - how do I accomplish that.

Sorry if this is a lot, I dont want to mess anything up..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

::First of all, make sure any data you want to keep it backed up because by doing what I say, everything will be deleted::

The "Partition1" is where Windows XP currently is. You need to delete that partition (follow the on-screen instructions for how to do so). Then you need to create a new partition; make it whatever size you want (it can be the whole hard drive as one partition or you can split them up). You choose the partition you just made to install Windows XP on. Choose "NTFS Quick" when it asks you to format the partition.

Once Windows XP is installed, you need to install the drivers for your network card. Tell us what kind of computer it is and we can help you find the drivers. To share a folder you right-click it and choose Sharing. You need to make sure that you are part of the same Workgroup or Domain.

Edited by mand0, 20 October 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#3 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

so basicly, I need to start all over again. My computer is a home built, so I am not sure what kind it is.

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

I thought you wanted to reinstall Windows XP.... You said the computer crashed. Does it not load into Windows anymore?

#5 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

I have already completed the installing it. I was just hoping I had done everything right.

So, is it possibly to delete the installation I have already done, and re- do it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:51 AM

If you've just installed Windows there's no need to reinstall it again. Does the computer boot into Windows? If so, then you've done it right!

You'll still need to install drivers for your hardware. So let us know the make and model of your computer and we'll be able to point you to the place to download the drivers from.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

I am not really sure the make and model. A friend built it for me. But, any help would be appreciatied.

#8 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

under my computer it says:

Computer:
Intel ®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.67GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

What really is needed is info on the motherboard (since you have a homebuilt system), the video card/adapter, the soundcard/chip, and the network card.

Two ways you can try:

a. Start/Run...type msinfo32...hit OK. On the right side of the big screen are several items. Scroll down to System Manufacturer and the next item (System Model) and that should be your motherboard maker and model.

b. You can use a 3d-party tool like Belarc Advisor to get similar info.

The motherboard is the key to the required drivers.

Info on various other components of your system can be found by exploring the detail under the Components heading on the left side of the window.

Louis

#10 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

I actually found the disk for my drivers, So I am installing them now.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Reboot after installation,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users