Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st Time Build, High End Pc, Non-gamer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ksmart

ksmart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

I am building my first PC. I have an x-box 360 and do not play PC games at all. Other than normal daily usage stuff I download / burn alot of DVDs and watch movies and T.V. on my computer. I would like to build a High End PC that will enable me to do these things (fast) and still allow me the ability to perform other CPU and memory intensive functions as needed. I have done quite a bit of research and I can't quite decide on which CPU and motherboard will best fit my needs. I plan to buy a GeForce 8800GTS, 4 GB of DDR-800 RAM, a Raptor 150GB HD for the OS and a 500GB Hitachi HD for everything else. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am debating between the Intel e6850 and the Q6600. I have read alot of debates over these two CPU's but the debate seems to center around gaming, so I have a hard time relating the comparison's to my intended usage. I would greatly appreciate any input / suggestions as to what CPU / MOBO combo would best suit my needs.

Thanks

Edited by ksmart, 20 October 2007 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I don't think its necessary to get that nice of a graphics card at all if your not gaming. Even if you want to multi-screen set up you could get a 50$ card that would be really good. Spend that money on something else.

The E6850 is faster on less applications, but the quad core will do better with more applications. The thing is the E6850 is already plenty good at multitasking, and if your only doing maybe like 3 or 4 things at a time, having a slower quad core wouldn't be as good as a faster dual core.

If you really wanted some insane speed, you could set up two raptor hard drives in raid. This might be very expensive though.

You could probably get a good 100$ motherboard that would be sufficient enough. Make sure not to skimp on the power supply (especially if you still want to get an 8800GTS)

Edited by Sterling14, 20 October 2007 - 07:17 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 ksmart

ksmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the response,
I think I will go with the e6850. As or the graphics card, the 8800GTS may be overkill but I want to make sure I am not limiting myself. I will compare some lower end cards. If I go with 2 Raptor Hard Drives in raid what size should I go with? Would 2 150 GB HDs be sufficient?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:31 AM

2 150gb raptor hard drives would be sufficient if 300gb total is enough for you. I've never used raptor hard drives, or raid, but I've heard and read that both can really boost the speed of your system!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:27 AM

RAID won't give you any performance increase unless you have a dedicated RAID controller. Generally not worth it.

Two Raptors is an expensive choice in a $/GB way of looking at things. The reason Raptors are so small is that thye use only the high-performance outer edge of the hard drive. What you should do is get one or two big, high performance 7200 hard drives, like Hitachi 7K1000 1TB, and partition each into two partitions with a small ~100GB on the outer edge of the hard drive. This small partition will be almost as fast as a Raptor and then you have another 800GB partition for storage.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

32 bit versions of Windows won't recognize your full 4 gB of RAM (each of my 4 gB systems only recognizes 3.26 gB of RAM). So, if you're interested in getting it all recognized, then you'll have to go with a 64 bit OS.

But, if you go with a 64 bit OS - will all your devices and applications work with it? Finding 64 bit drivers is a real PITA - especially if everything is up and running but that one critical device. It pays to do the research beforehand. Applications will generally run OK - but they'll be run sort of like 16 bit apps are run now (using an "emulator" of sorts).

FWIW - I'm considering upgrading to a 64 bit version of Vista as I don't change my hardware very often - but then again, I'm not sure I want to work with apps in 32 bit mode (although the opportunity to upgrade to 8 gB of RAM is very compelling for me!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

32 bit versions of Windows won't recognize your full 4 gB of RAM (each of my 4 gB systems only recognizes 3.26 gB of RAM). So, if you're interested in getting it all recognized, then you'll have to go with a 64 bit OS.

But, if you go with a 64 bit OS - will all your devices and applications work with it? Finding 64 bit drivers is a real PITA - especially if everything is up and running but that one critical device. It pays to do the research beforehand. Applications will generally run OK - but they'll be run sort of like 16 bit apps are run now (using an "emulator" of sorts).

FWIW - I'm considering upgrading to a 64 bit version of Vista as I don't change my hardware very often - but then again, I'm not sure I want to work with apps in 32 bit mode (although the opportunity to upgrade to 8 gB of RAM is very compelling for me!).

When you say that windows doesnt recognize all your ram... does that mean that your not getting to use the full capacity out of your ram (only 3.26 instead of 4gb) or does that mean that when you go system information the ram number or amount of ram displayed in the window will only go up to 3.26 because that windows version wont display a RAM amount higher than that?
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#8 ksmart

ksmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

I done alot of research and put together a list of components for my build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

RAM: 2 x Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HARD DRIVE: 1 x Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 R6PM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM &

1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GPU- EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

POWER SUPPLY - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail

CPU FAN - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

I would appreciate it if anyone with experience could give me any input as to whether or not these components will suit my needs or if I should revise my list.

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:57 AM

they will suit you needs x111000

thats a pretty good system considering what you want to do, you could save alot of money on that system if u got lesser(specifications) components IE: a p35 mobo, 2gb of ram, like a 600watt psu and keep the stocko heatsink+fan for your cpu
=)

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

Ya looks good! As 4ward tristan said you could get a a better psu with less wattage, maybe like 500 watts, but its really no big deal. You won't need better cooling unless maybe you want to overclock. Instead of buying a better heatsink, you should just a tube of arctic silver 5. Arctic silver 5 . That stuff will keep your processor really cool.

Edited by Sterling14, 04 November 2007 - 06:54 AM.

#11 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

check my profile for my computer specs.

i do some very resource heavy audio work on my system and i rarely gives me a hiccup.

i'm very happy with my system. :thumbsup:
music, music music...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users