Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sketchy Xp Media Center I-net Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

ive got a 18 month old dell laptop with XP media center version on it...

i rarely hook up to a wire to go online with it, utilizing the wifi. i dont know if i will have the same issues using a hardwire...

in the last 8-10 weeks ive had trouble getting online with it...

i can find my network and connect up, often with very good to excellent connectivity. when i click my comcast icon, i will get the infamous firefox "Server Not Found" page. you know the one that says, 'maybe you just dont know to put 3 Ws in the url' try again...

ive done a system restore to back in august the first time (about a week ago) and then i did a restore to the first of september today. im using my desktop to tell you about all this but the laptop DID work earlier this afternoon after the restore...

since i bought these computers with all the software installed (like most everyone else) what if i decide to re-do the os to XP home or pro on the laptop? am i going to have to try and find a copy of the os someplace? would one even be available?

thanks....

d

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

Well...XP Media Center is supposed to be very close to XP Pro. That being the case, I see nothing to be gained by either going to XP Home or the actual XP Pro O/S...unless you have a clue that there is something about the O/S itself which is the problem. That's not likely :thumbsup:.

If Internet connectivity were the only issue a user had with a system, life would be acceptable :flowers:.

Since you are using wireless, the obvious possibility is that the system may not be properly configured...or may merely be experiencing typical spatial/connect difficulties that some users have.

As a rule, Internet Explorer messages occur for any number of reasons, many of which are valid and have nothing to do with the user. The website can be experiencing problems, the user may not have the system configured correctly, the cache may be overfilled, and so on.

The logical place to start: Event Viewer. Take a look there and see what, if any, errors are noted (probably under Applications, but maybe under System). Let us know by posting (at a minimum) the Source/module and the event ID number.

If your problems are strictly from your wireless connection, the easy way to test that is to use wire for a given period of time. If the wire doesn't exhibit the same problems as your wifi attempts, then my guess would be a configuration problem. If it does, then maybe we need to look at the hardware/drivers.

We can be better guided by any errors reflected in EV.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:32 AM

Dell's generally come with either a recovery partition or a set of recovery disks - so you shouldn't have to buy a new copy of XP. Even if you don't have either, you can usually get a set of recovery disks from Dell for a lot less than a copy of XP would cost you (and, as a plus, it'd come with the drivers that you need to make the hardware work with XP).

The best place to find this information is at the Dell Support website: http://support.dell.com/ After clicking on the appropriate subject it'll ask you for your Service Tag number (usually on the bottom of the laptop) and will take you to the information that you need.

BUT, you may not be facing a reinstall just yet (depending on how much time you want to spend troubleshooting this issue). First I'd check to see if you can connect with a wire. If you can, then there's an issue with your wireless - and there's plenty of steps to take to fix that alone!

If you can't connect with a wire, then there's a whole separate set of steps to take. The process here will be to first determine if there's a hardware issue that's causing this (because a reinstall of XP won't fix a hardware issue). If it's not hardware, then you can decide if you want to mess with fixing XP or just reinstall.

BTW - continue with the research with Dell to find out how to restore the system and if you have a restore partition or restore CD's. And, if not, then you'll be able to order them and have them ready if you decide to reformat.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users