Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simplifying Xp Filing System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Siochain

Siochain

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

I learned windows 95, 98, Millenium - but XP is getting to me! Under Documents and Settings, the OS keeps things in 4 separate areas (Administrator, Owner, All users, Mine by Name) with a "documents" (and favorites and start menu) folder in each PLUS 2 more further down called "shared documents" and again Mine by Name). Same for pictures: Adobe, My pictures, scanned HP solutions, etc. I'm getting terribly confused and feel it will make the computer run very inefficiently to have so many subdivisions: I am ONE person! Is there any way that any of you know of to SIMPLIFY the entire set up so things are more easily found? Would appreciate any advice...seems every version just makes things more and more complex and taking all the pleasure out of working by computer.
thanks
Siochain
PS To each his own, as they say: another question: is it possible to turn off those silly, distracting, annoying emoticons things on the left as I try to write this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:48 AM

Windows uses the Default User account to create new users - and it merges it with the All Users account to actually create a new account. So each profile on your system is based upon this, but they get their own "identity" once they're created.

The Administrator account is built in to allow you to change settings, etc if you're following the recommendation to have all users as standard users (although not many people follow this).

The Owner account is usually the one setup by the manufacturer of the PC and in most cases it's also an Administrator account.

The All Users account is where the Shared Documents reside, and is needed to share documents across the PC (and with other computers in a workgroup). This account is required and should not be deleted.

It appears that your account is also an administrator account because you're able to access the folders for all the other administrator accounts. Unless you go looking for the other accounts specifically, all you're likely to need is the stuff on your account and the stuff on the All Users account.

To "simplify" things - don't use Windows Explorer to view anything below the root (C:\ generally). There's links in Windows Explorer for your documents and the shared documents, along with the contents of your Desktop (remember, this is a mix of your profile's settings and the All User's settings) - and none of them require opening up the contents of the C:\ drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Siochain

Siochain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I understood the character of each "account" as described - just not why there have to be 4 of them taking up space when there is one user, no workgroup etc. I gather from your response that the developers disregarded single users who prefer simple logic, are bothered by all that unnecessary clutter - and I am stuck with the set up as is. (It also explains why newer computers come with so much disc space/RAM!)

Siochain (Gaelic for Peace)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users