Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help .............stopping Explorer.exe Process

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

I have search all over the internet and made many posts on different forums for weeks and now i am here, I am looking for a way to stop the explorer.exe process from starting after login maybe with a batch file so it can be automated.
I am using winxp pro vlk edition sp2 updated. I have tried tskill, taskkill and autoruns but none seem to work. let be break them down:

tskill will only kill process and allow it to restart ( explorer restarts its self )
BATCH CODE:
@echo off
tskill explorer

taskkill: this will not work its gives an error: "no such interface supported" (I tried to search for this error with no luck)
BATCH CODE:
@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

Using the pid switch will not work because explorer will use a different pid every time its restarts.

autoruns: this just don't do crap for me (explorer.exe only tested)

Anyway, I would appreciate any help from anyone. I must say that taskkill, using the code above WORKS on ever other computer i have tried it on except this one. So i would seem there is a problem with this computer.
Now, this is a new install of windows all updated and no other programs installed, I need get this computer ready so as to create a master image for deployment to 250+ computers within a school.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:10 AM

Could you give us bit more background on why the explorer.exe process needs to be stopped? I would think that it was required for the system to function - although there are instances that I've seen (on really large networks with proprietary software) where's it's functionality is greatly decreased.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gykick

gykick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Sorry I don't mean this in a bad way but just forget about why I need to stop this process. I need to create some way to stop this process from starting, taskkill seem to be the way if I can figure what the error means. ERROR: "no such interface supported"
Anyway, I tried changing the shell reference in the registry but it killed explorer for the administrator account too ......dammmm sorry guys I forgot to tell you that stoping this process is only required for a user and not the admin account thats why I am leaning towards a batch file or some script which can be ran on that user account only.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

Actually, I think you're trying to stop the "shell" from starting - rather than the process itself. When Windows starts, the shell loads and everything runs from there. Depending on your settings, explorer.exe can either run the shell in a separate process - or all the instances can run within the one process.

I don't have a copy of XP handy - but seem to remember that the shell was specified in the win.ini or system.ini file on boot. You'd probably have to specify another shell for to take the place of it - otherwise you won't be able to see anything!

A description of the shell here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Shell
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 gykick

gykick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

thats fine if I don't see anything thats what i want just to stop the shell from running ...but this must only affect the users and not the admin account. Can this be done? If I leave it blank it will affect all accounts...

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

If there's no shell, then there'll be no reason to startup the system (since you won't be able to do anything with it) - so the solution is to leave the computer turned off.

#7 gykick

gykick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

usasma, thanks for your effort in helping me with NOTHING...listen if you don't know of a way the stop the process using a batch file just don't reply, just move on its better not to leave a comment rather than just saying crap.
Thanks for nothing.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:44 AM

If you want to run IE without access to the shell you can use Kiosk Mode. But you never said why you want to disable the shell, or what (if anything) you want to replace it with, so it's difficult to offer any advice.

You could also have a look at this article:

How to Create a Customized Shell
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:25 AM

are you trying to end explorer.exe so that no school-kids can do anything(mischevious)?(have no desktop blah blah blah)

im assuming you have some sort of server, somewhere..

if so you should be able to do everything you want with that??
=)

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

As I was the only person who even responded to your post (until you got rude) - I consider your response to be very inappropriate. Especially considering that you neglected to include some very important information (as found in the posts at the following links)

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...plorer-exe.html
http://www.visualbasicscript.com/m_52873/tm.htm
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/165974.html

Consider yourself "Ignored" :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 25 October 2007 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users