Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assigning Drive Letters To Usb Drives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tandyman

tandyman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Using Win XP, I have an external HD, Epson Stylus /w card slots [seen as usb removable drive], and flash drives. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to the stylus or flash drive which will not change if the drive removed, added, etc. Windows automatically assigns letters to usb drives. My H flash drive becomes I if another usb device is added. I'd like to have the letter not change.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Go to start > control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and right click the drive you want to change the letter for. Select "change drive letter and paths", click "change", and choolse the letter you want from the dropdown list.

#3 tandyman

tandyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Here's new wrinkle... I have a USB hub. I have 3 flash drives. If I put usb fd 1 into one usb port and use disk management to give it a letter, what would happen if I replace the drive with another. Is the letter assigned to the drive or the usb port?

#4 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

The letter is assigned to the drive, not the port. Windows only recognizes specific drives when assigning letters.
Ports are usually always named usb0, usb1, usb2, etc.

Edited by Riker, 20 October 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#5 tandyman

tandyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:05 PM

Thanks again. I've gotta try that. With a hub coming from another hub ....could be interesting. If it works, each flash drive could have a permanent leter assigned to it. I'll let you know. Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

There was an issue a while back with this in XP. If you have a device with (for example) drive letter F: already inserted - and then you insert a flash drive with drive letter F: - the flash drive won't be recognized.

The workaround is to go into Disk Management and reassign the drive letters.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tandyman

tandyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

OK. I discovered that, in order to backup to my external hd G in Norton Ghost. I have to make sure the drive letter is really G. This involves USB Tetris. If I insert a flash drive before plugging in the usb hd, the hd will be G. If I plug in the hd drive first, it will be F and Ghost will give me an error message. No.. naming the drive does not help; it gives names to the drives, but XP assigns the letters. Interesting.

#8 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

I have a post in the Harware Forum ,"Cannot Copy Computer Work"
but have a question for this thread, concerning ;

Riker Posted Oct 20 2007, 03:52 PM
Go to start > control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and right click the drive you want to change the letter for. Select "change drive letter and paths", click "change", and choolse the letter you want from the dropdown list.

I looked into this but, there is no Selection for, " change drive letter and paths ".

This leads to a question as to why I don't. Will appreciate your feed back.

Thank you.

Jove

Edited by Jove, 31 October 2007 - 02:20 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

What do you have in the drop-down menu when you right-click the drive letter?

You should have:

Open
Explore
Mark Partitions Active
Change Drive Letter or Paths
Format
Delete Partition
Properties

Some of those should be grayed out but you should still be able to read them.

If you don't have that list, you are right-clicking the wrong spot. (Or you have some serious problems.)

DR

#10 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

This is what I am getting when I follow Rikers instructions.

Posted Image

Riker Posted Oct 20 2007, 03:52 PM

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

You didn't say whether your flash drive was plugged in at the time you took that screenshot. :huh:

Otherwise, it looks fine. If you Right-Click in the gray box where it says CD-ROM 0, you should get a menu and one of the menu items is Change Drive Letter or Path.

If you plug in a Flash Drive, you should see it both above, in the white box area as well as below, like the CD-ROM drive. You should be able to Right-Click it both in the Gray Box below as well as in the White Area above in order to get the menu items.

Are you getting the menu items at all? Is the Change Drive Letter item grayed out? :thumbsup:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users