Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Memory Available

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fildil

fildil

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

I was just downloading Works Suite 2000 that was loaded on my old computer onto my new computer and I got an error message that said I didn't have enough memory and I should shut down some programs that were running. I have 1GB of ram on this computer and I just clicked the message and it went away and I continued. My question is, is there any way you can tell how much memory you have available at any given time? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

R click on the taskbar, then click task manager, under the performance tab there a section listed "physical memory".
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 fildil

fildil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

Thank you for the information. I just checked and of the total 1046620 I have 432200 available. I guess I'd better get busy shutting things down. :thumbsup:

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

Actually you are Ok. On this windows box I have 2 gig of ram with about 430 available, You should start to get worried if the machine continuously uses the paging file.

#5 fildil

fildil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

OK, I'll show my ignorance :thumbsup: , what is the paging file?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Great question! Paging file, otherwise known as virtual memory has multiple purposes.

1. Make believe that windows has more ram than it actually does by setting a file on the hard drive to simulate physical ram.

2. Always keeps copies of certain locations in physical ram on the hard drive for verification purposes, such as your hal.dll, ntfs.sys, etc. The files that windows keeps are system essential files for parity checking to ensure that physical ram does not get corrupted. If the ram location has a misread or write issue, the copy is re loaded from the paging file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

If you start using the paging file(virtual memory) all the time, then you don't have enough physical ram.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

In the Processes tab of Task Manager it'll tell you how many processes are running (it's at the bottom, I think). If there's a lot running, then you'll usually find yourself low on memory.

On the other hand, if there's not a lot running and you get the "low memory" error, then it's usually that there's either:
1) something unseen that's taking up the memory (malware)
2) a misbehaving program that hasn't released the memory for use by other applications.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 fildil

fildil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

About how many processes, give or take, should be running?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

There's no easy answer for that. It depends on your system's specs and the programs that you've absolutely got to have running. Since you've got 1 gB of RAM about 50 - 60 or so should be "normal" - although that's a very loose interpretation of the the norm.

If you got the memory error because of too many processes running - then you should have more than that. But, it also depends on how those processes are behaving (and also upon their use of virtual memory/pagefile).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 fildil

fildil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the information, I should have remembered that that Works program pulled a lot of memory. On my old computer with 512MB of RAM, if I was using it for a while, my computer would slow way way down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users