Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stopped With A Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi, I was happily working away on my computer when it suddenly crashed...I just saw a blue screen which said that the computer was in a loop in which it couldn't recover and that ATI2DVAG was the cause...This happened twice yesterday and three times today. Does anybody have a solution?
I'm not very good at computers but from what I've found out so far it is to do with my Video (Graphics) card.

I have Radeon 9200 Pro Family and Radeon 9200 Pro Sec Family
My system is a Windows XP Pro Sp2 with a Pent 4 3GHz 512MB RAM

Thanks in advance.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

First thing I would do...go to Event Viewer and see if there are any errors reflected for any of the ATI software/drivers.

Secondly, I would check Device Manager to see if anything is out of line.

I have an ATI 9600 card and an ATI 7500. My experiences are not that great when attempting to update drivers for these cards, original drivers seem to work best, in spite of the fact that the "one size fits all" is the credo of ATI drivers.

Louis

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

How do I get to the event viewer and what should I look for, if anything special..? Thanks again.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Event Viewer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

OK...the only items that merit attention in EV are errors. Warnings can normally be ignored, since they represent advisory, cautionary info rather than problematical situations that the user needs to be aware of.

ACCESS:
In XP, Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer. Depends on how your desktop is set up.

Be sure to look at all the detail for a given error, with key data being Source and the number under Event.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:15 AM

Based on hamluis' experience with ATI drivers (I'm an nVidia fan myself), I'd suggest attempting to roll back the video drivers to the last version. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then click on the + sign next to Display Adapter. Then right click on the video card there and select "Properties"
Then select the Driver tab
Then click on Roll Back Driver

If this selection is "grey'd out", then you'll have to update the driver. To do this, go to http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html and download the Catalyst Suite there. Once the download is finished, double click on the file to start the update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:57 AM

Hi, I have run the installer and near the end of installation there was an error report from the ATI Installer its self. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any problems but it will take a little time to see any.
Fingers crossed!!! The error report didn't say anything..or if it did I didn't see.:-( It just said that it had encountered an error and wanted me to allow it to send an error report to ATI. However I did include my email address so that they could advise me further about this error.

This is from my first post
"I have Radeon 9200 Pro Family and Radeon 9200 Pro Sec Family
My system is a Windows XP Pro Sp2 with a Pent 4 3GHz 512MB RAM"

Now, from the My Computer Properties it says
Video Card
RADEON 9250
RADEON 9250 - Secondary

Do you think this is OK?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

It's OK :thumbsup:, ATI reflects a dual install for my 9600 also.

I never bothered to try to understand what it's intended for or what it means, but I know that's the way that it will look every time it's properly installed.

No yellow markings or red markings in Device Manager, right?

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:38 PM

If the screen looks OK, then the drivers are likely working. I'd suggest just leaving it alone and seeing what happens. "Nothing succeeds like success!"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users