Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Needs Boot Diskette After C: Format.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nismo44

Nismo44

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

well i got a computer with some problems..

i got the pictures from the hard drive and then decided to format it..
as it didn't seem to start the setup on that pc, i put the hard drive into my computer and formatted it in there..
but now as i wanted to put the hard drive back where it belongs, the pc says something like this:

"Invalid BOOT diskette.
Please insert valid BOOT diskette in A:"

i tryed to change the boot device to cd rom, IDD, and disabled, but it still wants its boot diskette..
and i tryed to disconnect the diskette reader but nothing..
but it works on my PC..

but when i put the windows xp cd in it, the setup started and i thought about repairing the windows, but i thought maybe someone could give me an advice to get over that problem more easily..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Well...I guess I don't understand.

The XP CD formats, no need for a boot disk at all.

I would:

a. Make certain that the BIOS primary boot option reflects "optical drive", "CD/DVD", whatever my BIOS reads that will enable a boot from CD.

b. I would delete all existing partitions, once XP started to launch the install process.

c. I would create my new partition for XP (which XP will format) and allow the install to proceed.

The one other thing I would check...is that the BIOS recognizes the drives which are actually installed on the system (first screen).

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

When you changed the boot order in the BIOS to have the CD first, did you "save changes on exit"?
mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:57 AM

i have already formatted that hard drive.
but i did it on my pc and there it works just fine..
but when i put it into that computer where it was before, it needs a boot diskette..
and yes, i tryed to change the order, disable all, change between different boot devices (IDD/CD ROM/CD ROM&IDD)
and as i already said, i even disconnected the floppy reader and disabled it from Setup..

and of course i have saved these settings..

it's always the same except when i inserted XP cd..then the windows setup started, but i thought maybe there is some easier way than repair or format it again..

Edited by Nismo44, 21 October 2007 - 04:59 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

What I suspect is happening is that the BIOS is confused. It can't find a boot device so it "defaults" to the floppy (probably a built in routine that's not listed in the BIOS).

When you insert a bootable CD it merrily chugs away - happy that it found some bootable media.

What I suspect has happened is that formatting the disk on your PC did not install a boot sector on the hard drive - so it can't boot from it. I also suspect that you've got a copy of Windows on this hard disk that you want to boot from - and if that's the case, then the repair installation is the only route that I know of to attempt to fix it.

You may be able to "fix" it through the Recovery Console - but if my suppositions are correct there'll be more issues later on.

Here's a couple of articles about these situations:
Moving a hard drive with XP on it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users