Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Make Descent Money Without College True Or False

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

My parents want me to go to college. They say I cannot make it in life if I do not.

They say I will always be stuck making 7 bucks a hour and never having enough money.

Is this true? I mean college is expensive and it does not guarantee a job correct? I mean think of what you could do with the money you would have used to go
to college...You could start a good business with 80k...

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

The answer, based on the way the question is phrased, is "false".

However, in general, I would say that you will have a much better chance of making "decent" money if you go to college.

Two very basic reasons - during those 4 years you'll learn a lot about communicating with others, both orally and in writing and second you'll simply be more mature and experienced.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

It's not true. You can earn a lot of money without going to college. Just think of football, basketball or any other sport's players who earn millions even without primary school! Or thieves! In getting money all that is important is factor of luck and creativity.
With hard working you are only making you chances better, but that doesn't mean not to work hard, it's always better to know as much as you can.
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

Well, my dad dropped out of college after like a year, and never got a degree in anything. He teaches private guitar/piano lessons and gets 17$ a half hour and he knows people that charge 20$ a half hour! That sounds like pretty good money to me, even though hes still always broke :thumbsup: . On the other hand my mom had two years of college and makes less money then my dad.

There this very good opportunity for me at school that I can do next year (junior year in high school) called boces. It's a technical school where you can take classes on something you would find interesting as a career. I'm going to sign up for the technical classes where we get to take apart computers and other things (and I'm going to show everyone up!). Anyways they told us last year, two people got jobs paying 20$ an hour a month before they graduated high school from taking one of these classes. Also, I heard a while back that this one guy graduated from my high school after taking the electrical wiring classes and immediately got a full time job as an electrician.

So I'm going to wait and see what opportunities I have, and go for the best option.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

First.
While it is not absolutely necessary to go to college to earn good money, and one can find quite a few exceptions to prove this, to think that you will be an exception and not part of the rule is not economically sound thinking. Not every HS student turns out to be a rock star or a NBA draftee. To place your future in the hands of the luck of a dice throw is risky business.
More and more, not having some college experience automatically closes the door to many different kinds of oportunities; twenty years from now this trend will close even more doors and many a middle-aged person will live a bitter life because of it. And I suspect that the amazing sum of 20.00 an hour will be less than adequate by that time.

Second.
There is more to living well and happy than just money. Spending four years exploring all the possibilities within you and the world, meeting a wide range of people with ideas and perspective differing from your own in an open and exciting society, and perhaps following a career path as yet not even thought of but discovered at school---all of these are life changing, perhaps even life-GIVING, experiences.
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 October 2007 - 08:44 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

Maybe so I just feel forced that next fall I have to go to college. I did not go this year as I wanted time to think and other reasons.
I thought about starting my own biz. up and not going to college. My mom and dad I don't think they approve.

"You are too smart for that you need college" or something.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

Well, CGM, there would be nothing wrong in trying it for a year, would there, and to honour your parents' desire? I thing you would find it very challenging and a good balance to your home schooling. And sometimes completely new surroundings can give you a great opportunity to "find yourself."
I only know that if I was given the chance to relive a portion of my life by some kindly diety, even exactly as I had lived it, I would choose the wonderful seven years I was at college.
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 October 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

You made a spelling error above
"I thing you" You can remove this after you correct/see it if you want.

Yeah I know...it could be good and all.

I may do it anyways. I have as you know learned a lot about computers over the years. I debate though between several things as a career choice.

I have lots of computer knowledge. So I could work in a computer field.

I have a want to do special effects in movies too. Either the computer generated FX part or the actual physical effects in movies. I do not know if there is even a market for effects people or not but I think it would be a fun job. I want something that is fun at least a lot of the time and pays the bills that does not live paycheck to paycheck if the money is spent well.

Living on the farm as tough both physically and money wise has helped me learn so much. Its nuts really how much I have learned others have to go to college to learn. First hand experience in many things.

I find it hard to find JUST ONE thing to do. I really want to "test" out jobs before I go to college to learn how to do them. I want to make my mind up after I have seen and tried it for a couple of weeks. Maybe this is what they call interning.

College is so expensive and I do not have any cash saved up....none

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 20 October 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

First.
While it is not absolutely necessary to go to college to earn good money...

Second.
There is more to living well and happy than just money...
John

All true, all good.

After high school, I spent four years in the military, and entered the work force right after I separated. Many times I have had cause to regret not taking advantage of the G.I. Bill. The most I ever made was $8.50/hour - and that was after thirteen years at the same company! And all of the jobs I had required hard, physical labor. That thirteen years was spent working in a junkyard - outdoors, year-round. And I live in New England. Loading tractor-trailerss when it's -15 degrees, with the wind and snow blowing at thirty-five mph is not conducive to continued health and fitness.

Now I'm fifty, and will be starting college soon. Why? Because the only type of work I'm "qualified"* for I'm no longer physically capable of doing.

Listen to your parents. Believe it or not, older and more experienced people really do know what they're talking about. You just have to take the time to listen.

Go to school, have fun, learn. When you get to be my age, pulling down whatever the equivalent of $65,000/yr will be then, with your own office, giving senseless orders instead of following them, you'll be very glad you did.

Believe me, hindsight really is a bleep. But cheer up. Your parents know that no matter what they may tell you, you're going to go ahead and make your own mistakes, anyways. After all, that's what they did. :thumbsup:

* Without a piece of paper from some college, signifying that you know something**,the only thing you're "qualified" for is the menial labor type jobs. And even after thirty years in the work-force, managing businesses and working independently, all of that experince isn't worth jack sh** - without that piece of paper, you know nothing, as far as employers are concerned.

** I know college graduates that I wouldn't trust to flip burgers without close supervision.

#10 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

College is so expensive and I do not have any cash saved up....none

You can go to college today without putting out a dime up front, so that's not a valid excuse. And student loans are usually deferred for a few years after you finish school so that you can actually settle into a decent job before you have to start paying them back.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:01 AM

When I get older though, I would rather have a decent paying job that I would enjoy then one I would get payed fairly well and hate. I'm still going to go to college at my local community college for two years and then look for some better school afterwards. I was thinking maybe I could get a job at Best Buy during this time because I hear they make pretty good money plus commission.

Oh and basketball players have to attend school and keep their grades up. The NBA a year or two ago made a new rule requiring all new players must attend at least one year of college.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

I didn't listen when my Mom and Dad told me this - and I suffered for many years because of it. I couldn't buy a house for many, many years. It wasn't until I was almost 50 that I became a "success" and was able to live without conserving money full time.

My wife, on the other hand, went to college and graduated from veterinary school - she was able to buy a house soon after graduation and now has a bunch of equity in it. She also owns her own veterinary hospital. She put herself through all 8 years of college by working full time during the summers and part-time during the school year.

College increases your chances of getting a good job - but there's no guarantee's that you'll get one. That's up to you - and it takes hard work, with or without an education in order to get a good one.

Then, when you've got the job, it's up to you how you progress. Hard work is still a large factor in getting ahead - but you've gotta work at understanding how to get ahead in order to focus your hard work in the direction that's most rewarding for you.

As I said, my wife's a veterinarian and she's happy with what she does. She's well off, owns her own home and her own veterinary practice, and in a good year makes over 6 times what I make.

I, on the other hand, spent 15 years not even bothering to work on my career. But when I started, I made great strides - but still could never catch up with what my wife has done. But, I'm comfortable and make a good retirement living (being able to afford my "toys") without having to leech off of my wife. I finally got a degree at the age of 50.

Finally, I did go to college like Mom and Dad said - but I spent the time partying rather than studying. That was a waste of my time and of the money that Mom and Dad laid out for school.

EDIT: As Sterling14 has said - it's more important to be happy at what you're doing than it is to make a boatload of money. As long as you make enough to be comfortable. I spent 25 years living the dreams of a 10 year old and loved it (I jumped out of airplanes and blew stuff up)!

Edited by usasma, 21 October 2007 - 08:13 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

I spent 25 years living the dreams of a 10 year old and loved it (I jumped out of airplanes and blew stuff up)!

Combat Engineer, 82nd Airborne?

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

There is also the added dynamic of all of the different opportunities you will be exposed to by going to college, and I don't just mean frat house parties. Through my experiences at school, I have discovered that instead of just getting a Computer Science degree, I may actually consider an additional degree in education. I am part of a bioinformatics research team. I am co-chair of the local chapter of the ACM. I participated in an Academic Integrity Task force that is creating university wide policies for dealing with academic indiscretions. I am on a first name basis with some very intelligent people, who in turn have introduced me to other very intelligent people who own businesses. I am developing a community program to teach high schoolers in my area how to program. I am working on another program to get members of all of the sciences together (physics, chemistry, biology, geology, etc) to go into area middle schools and try and get children interested in science. I am working on a program with the female graduates to get them to go into schools to talk to young girls about becoming involved in science.

6 years ago, I was building apartment buildings, gas stations, factories, etc. I was making good money (more than my wife is making now with her degree, but she will surpass it soon), had good benefits, and loved what I was doing. I was not being challenged though. I just can't count the opportunities I have been given just because I decided to go to school. While I don't regret not going to college right out of high school, my life would have been very different in ways that I can't even imagine.

Going to college is more than just going to school.

Edit: By the way, what is descent money? Money one pays to fall out of a tree?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

20th Engineer Brigade - both the 27th and 37th Engineer Battalions.

I spent 25 years living the dreams of a 10 year old and loved it (I jumped out of airplanes and blew stuff up)!

Combat Engineer, 82nd Airborne?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users