Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Do Anything!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hayride2

hayride2

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

:thumbsup: I have a computer that will not do ANYTHING!! It is an eMachine, 2.5 ghz. I have replaced the memory, the motherboard AND the CPU. There is nothing left of the old computer. Why won't it boot? I just have a blank screen, the power comes on but nothing else happens, no noise, no beeps, no nothing. I am ready to take it out and shoot it!

When a computer comes on and does nothing, no POST, no boot from CD Rom or anything what is that an indication of? Oh yeah, I have checked the power supply and it shows to be good (if the tester can be believed). HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

IMO...the best way to test a PS is to remove OLD, temporarily install a known good PS.

Then take OLD and install in other working system (temporarily).

Then I know if it can do the job...

Louis

#3 hayride2

hayride2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

The power is good, I have new memory and new harddrive. Have disconnected everything except harddrive and cd rom. Don't know what else to try!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

I guess I don't understand new memory, new HD, new motherboard, new CPU...when a new system would have been much cheaper and pretty much guaranteed to work on delivery.

If I had the system in front of me, I could troubleshoot it. I don't and I cannot. There are too many variables for me to pretend that I could ever figure out from afar...which, if only one, is contributing to your situation.

Since you seem to have time, the obvious approach...if you want to troubleshoot...is to switch out parts, one at a time, until you can say what it is NOT. By switching out, I mean place each component in a known good working system (temporarily) and see if it functions in a different environment.

Louis

#5 hayride2

hayride2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Right???? The only thing old was the case! That's why I'm pulling my hair out. Think I'll just junk it. It was given to me by a friend. Guess I'm too dumb to do this, I'll stick to checking email and surfing the net....

#6 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Bit of a daft question here, but which operating system did you install on your new HDD ? How did the installation go, were there any problems during the process.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#7 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

Yup. The 'old' installation will not usually boot with a different motherboard.
Before junking the whole thing, I would first try a fresh install with full format after partition deletion.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#8 hayride2

hayride2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

Hard to install an OS when the computer won't even go thru POST. Trying to install XP Pro but I can't get it to do anything.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

SWAG:

Since you cannot even boot, you have nothing to lose by shorting the CMOS jumper or by removing the CMOS CR2032 battery for a few minutes (with the power off). Either will result in resetting of the BIOS/CMOS settings.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosClearCMOS-c.html

You said that the power comes on...does that mean that all fans work (CPU, PS, and any others)?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#10 undine

undine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I copied this from another site. I had this type of problem a few weeks ago and this put me on the right track...

I don't think it is your PSU so I recommend that you do a barebones setup and test each component. This will read a lot harder than it actually is. The initial procedure takes only around 10-15 minutes. The follow on troubleshooting may take a lot longer though. Also, please do not skip steps. Do everything in order and as listed or your troubleshooting will be flawed.

Caution: Please remember that turning a PC off does not mean there is no power going through it. Modern systems maintain a trickle of power to keep the standby functions running. You either have to turn off the switch on the Power Supply Unit (PSU) itself or unplug the system from the wall. Unplugging is best. If you have a LED on the mobo that is lighted all the time. make sure it is out before proceeding. Also, be aware of static. Make sure you wear and ESD strap or discharge yourself on a steel part of the case before touching anything inside.

First, unplug the PC from the wall and then open it up. Disconnect all the drives (floppy, CDROM, DVD , modem !!!, etc.)from the motherboard (mobo) and also disconnect your Hard Drive(s) from the mobo. Do not leave the hard drives connected. The system will boot into BIOS just fine with no hard drive attached. Unplug the power from all those drives you disconnected from the mobo. Remember to disconnect the front panel firewire and/or USB ports.

Next, remove all the RAM, except for one stick, from the mobo. Some mobos are very picky about where the RAM needs to be placed so make sure the one stick of RAM is in the correct slot as per your manual.

Now you are stripped down to a barebones system. The PSU, the mobo itself, 1 stick of RAM, the CPU/HSF and video card. Reset your CMOS/BIOS while the system is stripped down, unplugged and open. You do this by removing the battery and then moving a jumper near the battery around. Usually there are a set of three pins with two covered by a jumper. You move the jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 and let it set for a few minutes then reset the jumper to pins 1&2 and replace the battery. CMOS and BIOS will be back at default settings after doing this.

Now check that everything is seated correctly, both the 4 pin and 20 or 24 pin power is connected and secure and if so then plug the PC back into the wall and make sure that any LEDs that should be lighted on the mobo are lighted. If all is still well then turn it on. Hopefully she boots right back into BIOS.

If you get back into BIOS you can start troubleshooting by turning the PC off and unplugging it and reconnecting peripherals one at a time. The idea here is to connect and reboot until something hangs your system up This presumably is the bad piece of gear.

If you cant get into BIOS and have the same problem as before then you know it is either the PSU, the RAM, the CPU, the mobo itself or the video card. Change out each these until you get into BIOS. I would start at the PSU as it is usually the guilty party in a situation like this and is also easy to change in and out you are down to just 2 plugs now remember). Next up would be the video card and/or RAM and if still no luck then things get hard as you now have to consider either the CPU or the mobo.

Good luck and happy hunting.

#11 hayride2

hayride2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thank you guys so much for the info. In answer to hamluis, yes all the fans come on. I have a PSU tester and it shows the power is good, but I did change it out as a "just in case" with the same results. I will try everything undine said but I might also mention here that the video is onboard so if it is the video I guess I could disable it and install a pci card. That is if I can even get into BIOS. I can't remember if I cleared CMOS on this one or not. At any rate I will give it a shot and see if I can get anywhere. I'll keep you posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users