Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Backup File

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

Recently, I had to do a full system recovery on my daughter's notebook (recommended by notebook vendor) in order to repair an audio problem. I backed up her My Documents folder onto a USB flash drive using the Windows Backup Utility. Which I now know I should not have used. After getting the notebook running smoothly again, I tried to restore the backup, again using the WBU. I got the message "Unrecognized Media" followed by "The file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." I again contacted the vendor who suggested I download and run a backup repair program. This program recovered all my files, however, in order to restore them I would have to pay $149.95 for the full version. So, this tells me the files are there. But, I can't afford to pay that kind of money. These files are my daughter's college report files and she would really like them back. There are also music and picture files. Everything that one would put in My Documents folder. Is there any free repair AND restore programs to achieve my recovery?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Welcome to BC
What was the name of the utility you tried? People have had some luck with this one http://www.pcinspector.de
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

I used Repair My Backup from getdata.com. Worked great, just can't restore the files without paying.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

I've used File Scavenger with success.

File recovery and hard drive data recovery software - QueTek™ Consulting Corporation - http://www.quetek.com/

If you try this, please read the directions B4 playing with it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

Do I download the ftp or http version?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Dealer's choice :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

I used the http version and it didn't work or I don't know what I'm doing.

#8 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'll try the quetek now. Thanks, Louis.

#9 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

AHHH, I see quetek costs $49. I'd really like something free. With the amount of research I have been doing, I see that this problem has happened to many others also, so I'd think there is a solution somewhere!

Edited by j54ams, 20 October 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Well...if you don't think that someone else's time (to write a program that's beneficial)...is worth $49 to avoid disaster...so be it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

Not that it's not worth it, it's I don't have the $49! Did not mean to offend anyone.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

No offense taken.

I'm just somewhat taken aback by many an owner who has probably overspent on the computer system itself and did not bat an eye...but who wants an O/S and applications (which make the hardware useful/useable) for free or for less than $9.99.

I smoke and $49 will buy me approximately 8 packs of cigarettes, which may last 30 days. If I spend that money on a recovery program, it's a much better value.

Louis

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

The notebook was purchased from gift money my daughter received for graduation and we have not spent anything on it. Just trying to maintain it. Using free programs. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

You are personalizing generalizations I make :thumbsup:, "users" is a very large group of persons.

I understand that many want free programs, etc...but I also understand that, in life, some things are worth paying for.

Since you seem interested in "free" programs, etc., you might do a Google for such. I've not tended to try any free recovery programs, but they do exist.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...covery+programs

Louis

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hi j54ams, I don't know about anyone else here, but if I need an application that I'm only going to need one time I'm sure going to look for the freeware or shareware that's available, and apparently so does the rest of the staff here. That's why we have the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps section, this can be found here. I hope this helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users