Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove One Of The Windowxp In Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pool

pool

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

Recently i try replace one of the missing NTLDR file by using Windows Repair Install on the Windows XP CD... unfortunately there is now 2 window xp are being in my pc in the same partition (c:) after running the Window XP cd... Is there any way to remove the new window i had installed and keep my computer work only under one current
Windows XP?

Thanks you.. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hi pool.

Apparently you did not run a Repair Install - you reinstalled XP by mistake. Rather than overwriting the \WINDOWS folder, the reinstall created another \WINDOWS folder either with a new name like \WINDOWS2 or put it on a different partition/volume.

What did happen in your case ? Where is the new \WINDOWS folder ? How do you know there are 2 installations ?

Edited by WinCrazy, 20 October 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

You boot into the install you want to keep...delete the other Windows folder...and maybe edit the boot.ini file.

Deletion of the Windows folder wipes out the other install but the boot.ini will reflect it until it is edited.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

Be very, very careful doing this. Editing the boot.ini and deleting the Windows folder could make your system unbootable (requiring yet another installation of Windows). If you're not sure which installation is which, please copy your boot.ini file and paste it to your next post so we can help to figure out which installation is which.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pool

pool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

Um,i found that there is now two WINDOWS folder installed on my partition (C:).... One of the folder name as WINDOWS and the other one name as WINDOWS.0... For u guys information, i need make selection ( between the 2 windows) while 'booting' tat time.....

Another problem is where usually the boot.ini file could be found ?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#020

Take a look at Question #20 and the answer.

The boot.ini (or any other file) can always be found by using the Windows Search function.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users