Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Answering These Questions Without Confusing Everyone.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

I have come to this site when I've had problems getting my computer to mind me. Now I have to answer some questions for class and I don't know how to word them. I was hoping some of you might like to help.

can someone tell me how worms spread through the internet?

what OS is best and why?

what is a trojan horse? And how does it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

Help answering these questions for class???? Hmmm....we don't like to do other people's home work here. :thumbsup: How about this: You tell us what you think, and we'll work with you on it instead of just doing it for you? That way, you've done your own work! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

You can get most of the information that you need by going to either webopedia or wikipedia. As for as what OS is best, that is a question that is subject to opinion. I believe that it would be safe to say that the general consensus is that ME is the worst OS that was ever made. I have friends that swear by W98 or W2k, then others that like XP, I think it's still too early to mention Vista I personally don't think it's worth investing in until they have their first non-beta service pack. Then you have to look at Linux, once they get to the point that they have a GUI it is going to be gaining popularity, you have also take into consideration that it is free.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Great, that's even better. I think the way a worm works is by attaching itself to your computer files/ address book and then sending itself to your friends and doing the same thing there. Does that make sense? Iknow what I want to say but cant figure out how to say it.

Okay here's another one.

What is the difference between a regional access provider and a national access provider?

A regional access provider has a local number to call that grants access to the internet. If you were to go out of town or state and connect to the internet using that phone number you would have to pay long distance charges because you would be out of the local calling area. A national access provider has a number which is accessible nation wide without additional charges.

Thanks for your help!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

Learn to use Google to answer such things.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

Let me suggest an alternative suggestion to hamluis's who seems to forget that they probably needed help at one time, google is a very good tool for gathering information. I would use google to get your definitions and then formulate you own wording of the definition, then send what you have to us to see if it's right.

Here's an example of what you can find.

This definition came from Wikipedia.

A computer worm is a self-replicating computer program. It uses a network to send copies of itself to other nodes (computer terminals on the network) and it may do so without any user intervention. Unlike a virus, it does not need to attach itself to an existing program. Worms always harm the network (if only by consuming bandwidth), whereas viruses always infect or corrupt files on a targeted computer.

Edited by dc3, 20 October 2007 - 12:17 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

Does this sound accurate?

How do you know if a web site is secure for entering personal data?

I got so much useful information from the “Verisign Secured” web site. Apparently there are guidelines that will help you determine how secure a web site is even if Verisign is NOT securing it.

*. You can look for the verisign seal. But as stated above, the seal is not necessary.
* When high-security browsers notice that an Extended Validation Secure Sockets
Layer (SSL) certificate is being used by a Web site, the address bar turns green and
the name of the certificate owner will be displayed .
* You can click on the little yellow lock icon at the bottom of an individual Web
page to review .
the SSL certificate information for that page
*. Verify the presence of an SSL certificate by checking the properties of a page in
your Web browser.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

This last one is a very good answer with a lot of great detail. I'd suggest that you look up the definition of a secure protocol and also look into encryption and secure sockets in order to provide more depth to your answer! (BTW - it looks like you're on your way to an A if this is any indication of your research ability!)

Your wording of these is just fine, although the last one could be reworded a bit to sound more like it's your opinion rather than Verisign's. I've found that pretending that you're telling someone (such as a friend) about this - rather than just reading it to them - will help things to sound more like your own.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users