Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Does Not Like Programs To Stay Open Overnight Gets Super Slow

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

I cannot leave firefox open overnight or other programs. Like with firefox if I leave a few tabs open it when I go to hit the tab just sits there for 5 minutes and does nothing. If you go check task manager even though the cpu light is on it is using none of the cpu.

What could be wrong? It works great when it gets "warmed up".....None of my other computers need a warm up time.

XP pro
AMD 3200 64
768mb ram
All updates are up to date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi cowsgonemadd3.

You need to run a series of test diagnostics to try to locate the source of the problem.
Hardware and File System Test Procedures

-) Run a hard drive file system check on the system drive:

In Explorer right-click on the system drive (usually the C: volume) and select:

Properties > Tools tab > Error Checking: Check now button

and then check the box Automatically fix file system errors then the Start button. A message will display about having to restart to run the scan - agree to that and then restart the PC.

If you can't boot into your account or any of the Safe Mode account options from the F8 boot menu, BUT you have an XP Installation CD (not a Restore/Recovery CD) then you can boot off of the CD to start the installation program but then choose to run the Recovery Console repair utility instead of an install. From this command-line program you can issue the command:

> chkdsk C: /r

Which will repair any problems with the file system on C:

With either method only the file system will be checked and repaired if necessary. Any corrupted files will remain corrupted and unusable.

-) Bad memory: Download the Memtest86 CD ISO file and burn it to CD from:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Set your BIOS so that the computer tries to boot from the CD/DVD drive before trying to boot from the hard disk. Memtest86 will thoroughly test the RAM endlessly. Let it run for at least, say, 3 passes. No errors should be listed. If errors do show up and there is more than one RAM module, test each one individually until you can isolate the bad one.

-) Failing hard disk:

Run a HDD test utility from your drive’s manufacturer to make sure the drive is functionally OK. Use the diagnostic according to what brand drive you have:

Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/in/products/harddis...ities/hutil.htm

Fujitsu http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi.../utilities.html

-) Bad or Failing power supply: Download and run Everest Home V2.20 from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Look in Computer > Sensor. The +3.3V, +5V and +12V should be within +/-5% of their nominal values.

3V 3.135V to 3.465
5V 4.750V to 5.25V
12V 11.400V to 12.60V

-) Overheated CPU: In Everest Home 2.2 (free) look in Computer > Sensor. The CPU temp should never be over 50 degrees Celsius. Overheating can happen as the result of a failing CPU fan (aka "cooler" fan) or excessive dust buildup there. It can also be due to an improperly mounted cooler (heatsink+fan) assembly.

Everest Home 2.2 (free) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

These tests will go a long way to confirm whether or not your PC is in good shape. Remember that any corrupted files will remain corrupted until reinstalled.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Is this computer set for sleep mode or hibernation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

It is set to allow hibernation which I use often but always restart say once a week or longer? so it stays running fresh. It has plenty of free ram....

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hibernation does not use RAM. Standby mode does. Hibernation saves the OS state to hard drive files and then reads them back into RAM on the next startup.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

Okay cpu is at 56 and the HDD is at 46. My laptops fans are clean and run fine. I am doing the Seagate test now.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

The HDD test said it passed.

#8 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

56C is too hot a temp for the CPU. Under heavy load the temp could go up another 10 to 15C. This needs to be fixed.

Are you overclocking the CPU and/or the RAM ?

Is your PC a hand-built desktop ? If so, what is the manufacturer and model of the motherboard ?

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

Its a hp zv6000 laptop. Fans all run fine one of them all the time just at idle speed.

Never attempted to overclock anything on it.

#10 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hi cowsgonemadd3.

Dust and dirt has probably built up inside the case which blocks good air flow and will cause the CPU to run hot. You need to open up the case and blow or brush the dust out of the CPU heatsink and from the cooling fans. This laptop has an AMD processor in it and will generally run cooler than a similar Intel processor. There is no way the temp should be this high.

A very detailed, step-by-step case disassembly procedure is shown in the HP manual for this laptop. I think you will need only a Phillips screwdriver and a small brush to do the cleaning. The User manual can be downloaded here:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf

Be sure to run all the diagnostics to make sure the PC's other major components are working properly.

Some of the OS files may be corrupted, but we'll go there after you have done the other tests and maintenance if you still have the problem.

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 October 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I have taken laptops apart before. Did not want to take this one apart though....Okay I will do the tests and the cleaning process and report back tomorrow or Monday.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

HP laptops generally run hot IME. You can try blowing out the ports with compressed air to see if there's a bunch of dust in there (may save you from having to open it up).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

Well I put it up on a stand and I now have a 10 degree drop on both the CPU and the HDD. Do I still need to clean it?
This morning I left several pages up in firefox overnight and when I tried to click a tab it did nothing for 10 minutes so I finally killed firefox. Opened it back up and hit "restore session(my favorite feature!!)" and it brought my pages up and they worked fine and fast.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

Blocked air vents can cause it to overheat - as can dust on the inside. Both together can be a recipe for disaster! Yes, definitely blow it out at a minimum!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

Laptops are designed not to overheat while sittng flat on a desk. Yours overheats, so it needs to be cleaned out. You won't know if you really cleaned it out by just using compressed air - you can't see inside.

Taking apart the laptop is not difficult - just follow the photos and directions. After that, I bet you won't even need the stand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users