Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crackling Audio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

Greetings one and all,

I've recently been helping my housemate with her computer.

Its a Dell desktop - not the most up to date system, but certainly the spec should be sufficient so as not to run into the problem we've been having.

When playing music through i-tunes, every now and then, there's a skip or crackle in the music almost like a cd with a scratch on the disc.

Its the kind of thing you would expect to happen if you were multi tasking in a big way and the processir or RAM was over worked.

Anyway, i've pretty much shut down all other programs other than i-tunes and/or windows media player and have been keeping watch on the performance in the taskmanager and its not coming near hitting peak for processor activity or ram usage.

Is there anything else that would effect eh playback of audio in this way ??

I've made sure both programs are up to date with the latest updates and all downloaded codecs etc.

I've also checked the physical hardware and all connections seem to be sound ... i've even tried a seperate set of active speakers but this is not helping the situation either.

Just to give you an over view of the system ... its a 2.66 Celeron with 768 megs of RAM.

Im sure this should have been ample to run these audio management programs without causing any trouble ??

The sound card on board is a SoundMAx integrated digital audio - not sure how much help this offers.

Any advice you might be able to offer is appreciated as always. !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

It sounds like your hardware buffer is simply set to low. Push up the hardware buffer until the skipping/popping stops.

There is a trade off though, the higher your buffer is set the more latency you will get so find a happy median with no skipping/popping noises and as little latency as possible, but when simply playing music latency should not be an issue.

Hope that this helps
music, music music...

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

Mike you're a legend.

I tweaked the settings on the sample rate and hardware acceleration and lo and behold, crystal clear audio !!

Thanks kindly for your help .....
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Nice!

Glad to help
music, music music...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users