Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Protect "windows" Folder In Xp?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hizuka007

hizuka007

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:18 AM

how to protect "WINDOWS" folder in xp? so that the files inside it cannot be deleted. because it happens to me that almost all of the files inside the WINDOWS folder are deleted and as a result the OS cannot be booted.

If you are thinking why i know that almost all of the files inside the WINDOWS folder are being deleted, well that is because i've make the harddisk (the one that has a problem) as a slave and found out that only 3 folders and 5 or 6 files are left inside the WINDOWS folder.

.tnx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

You will have to reinstall XP to get the computer working again
After that create a non-administrative ("Limited User") account and use that for day to day work so that you can't delete items within the Windows folder.

Be careful when installing programs or deleting files, and make sure you backup important data!
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi hizuka007.

Why is the \WINDOWS folder on a slave hard drive ? Did you reinstall XP from an XP Installation CD and allow the new installation to be put on another hard drive ?

The \WINDOWS folder is protected. You have to go out of your way to make that folder visable, much less view the files inside of it and then be able to delete files inside of it

What else have you done ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

You don't have to do anything other than leave the files alone, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

If you have files which are disappearing with no interference from users...I'd say that you have a malware situation.

Louis

#5 hizuka007

hizuka007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

WinCrazy:="Why is the \WINDOWS folder on a slave hard drive ? Did you reinstall XP from an XP Installation CD and allow the new installation to be put on another hard drive ?"

what i mean is that the harddisk that does not boot (because the files inside \WINDOWS are deleted) is being slaved so that i can see the files of that disk.

@tswsl1989, the problem is that each computer here has an administrative account that can be used by users. and this account should not be set to limited because there is a software here that is used by the users that needs administrative account to work. . . . . . So what i want to know is that is there a way that this \WINDOWS folder can be protected?

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hi hizuka007

This may help. Go to Start>My Documents>Tools>Folder Options>View>Click on Restore Defaults>Apply to all Folders.

This should hide all the important System Folders making them inaccessible unless someone deliberately goes looking for them.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 hizuka007

hizuka007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

well i guess i have to make \WINDOWS hidden and disable the run command so that they cannot open the \windows folder at the RUN nor at the address bar.

btw. tnx for all ur replies bcause it gives me this idea.. :thumbsup:

#8 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

Yes, leave the \WINDOWS folder hidden or make it hidden just so this can not happen again. All users should be not able to mess with it again because it can not be seen. (A creative idiot can still find a way around this and delete files in \WINDOWS, but he has to go really, really out of his way to do this.)

Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Advanced Settings:
Hidden files and folders: Select Do not show hidden files and folders
Put a check in: Hide protected operating system files

While you are there, UNcheck Hide extensions for unknown file types.
This will display files in Explorer with their full file name, which is, by far, the best way to view them. Only .LNK and .URL files will not show their extension.

Edited by WinCrazy, 24 October 2007 - 11:08 AM.

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

If users don't need to be able to browse the C: drive in My computer, you could use TweakUI to hide it.
If the run command is disabled, then you can't navigate to a folder from the address bar in My computer\Explorer.

If users need to remain admins, then I would do the following:
Disable access to the run command
Use TweakUI to hide the C: drive
Remove the shortcut for Command Prompt from the start menu
Block access to CMD.exe using security policies (GP in a domain)
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Policies are only settable in XP Professional and its derivitives - MCE and 64-bit. Policies are not available in XP Home.

#11 hizuka007

hizuka007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

i dont hide drive C: bcause their files will be saved there.
my solution is this:
-hide /windows folder
-disable run command
-disable dos command
-remove folder options from gpedit so that they cannot use it to uncheck the hide hidden folders.

i'll just have to use vbscript and batch file to do this on every computer. its time to search the net about disabling the dos and foder options in vbscript... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users