Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After A Virus Scan And Clean My Desktop Wont Appear.. Please Help :\

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:03 AM

I really need your help, please help me if ya can! Anyway, I ran a virus/spyware scan and it deleted the threat, but ever since then I've had a problem. Whenever I logon to windows it shows the desktop (icons, taskbar, start menu ect.) then it dissapears and reapears a few times then stops re-apearing and I can't do anything. The computer is not in a frozen state because CTRL-ALT-DEL works fine. So anyway, I basically can not use my computer. I run windows XP pro and I have no system restore points to try and use The only think that might help you help me is the error I got one of the times while trying to login. it said at the top "DLL Initialization failed" under that to the left it says userinit.exe and to the right it says "the application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down" I've tried everything I can think of and I'd have to have to re-install windows and lose all my files. pleeeease help me Thanks in advance.
Colin
Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:48 AM

Can you run Windows Explore(C:\Windows\Explorer.exe) from Windows Task Manager?
Shortcut key to run Windows Explorer is [Windows]+[E].
If it runs, I think that your desktop will temporarily come back.
In this case, you will have to fix your registry.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

I would suspect that there's still some remnants of the virus on your system. Whether it's benign or not can be determined by HIPPO1023's advice.

If it's not benign, then I'd suggest further anti-malware scans or having a look at these forums:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

If it is benign, then we can start working on fixing it once you post back with the results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

Ahh that was a good idea. Windows+E doesn't do anything, but windows + U brings up microsoft narrator and through that I can access ie. Anyway, I went to explorerer and it brought up the desktop, but then it went away again after a few seconds :thumbsup: I'll chek out those links ya gave me usama, thanks.

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

Hello, I'm running a few new scans and an online scan. I also got a hijackthis log... maybe that will help? Thanks again:P

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:53:23 PM, on 10/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxFwHlp.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxPol.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\PPRT\bin\ITMRTSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Games\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\MOHAGame\pb\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spyware\PPCtlPriv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\utilman.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfsem.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EasyTuneV] C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\ET5\ETcall.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\isuspm.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cctray] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spam\QSP-5.1.18.0\QOELoader.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cafwc] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\cafw.exe -cl
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [capfasem] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfasem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [capfupgrade] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfupgrade.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ResChanger 2005] C:\Program Files\ResChanger 2005\ResChanger2005.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitComet] "C:\BitComet\BitComet.exe" /tray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tair] "C:\WINDOWS\PPATCH~1\explorer.exe" --ru -vt yazb
O4 - HKCU\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [w] %SystemRoot%\WinRaR.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [wm] %SystemRoot%\winlogor.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [mm] %SystemRoot%\sourro.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [zx] %SystemRoot%\winadr.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Merriam Webster - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\Merriam Webster.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Wikipedia - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\wikipedia.HTM
O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra button: BitComet Search - {461CC20B-FB6E-4f16-8FE8-C29359DB100E} - C:\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.8.30.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://supportcenter.rr.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: CaCCProvSP - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: CA Pest Patrol Realtime Protection Service (ITMRTSVC) - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\PPRT\bin\ITMRTSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PunkBuster (PnkBstrA) - Unknown owner - C:\Games\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\MOHAGame\pb\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PPCtlPriv - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spyware\PPCtlPriv.exe
O23 - Service: HIPS Event Manager (UmxAgent) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxAgent.exe
O23 - Service: HIPS Configuration Interpreter (UmxCfg) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxCfg.exe
O23 - Service: HIPS Firewall Helper (UmxFwHlp) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxFwHlp.exe
O23 - Service: HIPS Policy Manager (UmxPol) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxPol.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe

--
End of file - 8723 bytes

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Woops I just read the rules that I'm not supposed to put this log in this forum sorry about that.

#7 stankllim

stankllim

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi Slave2society7
It looks to me you have a similar problem I had on 30 july. I have posted my problem on the same date.
Look it up and maybe it will give you some idea. Good luck
Stan

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Thanks, OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users