Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Mac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlaineS

BlaineS

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hey y'all. We're looking to purchase a new desktop and some folks say the iMac is the way to go.
We use it mostly for web surfing and keeping records, but the media part sounds interesting for picture storage.
What do you think of switching to the apple? We currently have a Dell desktop & laptop. Only looking to replace the desktop at this time.
Can we still network with the pc laptop?
All help will be much appreciated. Pros & cons.

Thanks so much.... BlaineS

{Mod edit: Clarify topic and move to more appropriate forum...boop}

Edited by boopme, 19 October 2007 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

You can network an iMac with a PC, though I'm not sure how. A con I do know of is that if you have an external media and you disconnect it without ejecting or shutting down it will be erased. Apple's multimedia capabilities go far beyond the current reach of windows, thought it is catching up with the release of Vista.

#3 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

There will be a learning curve when adjusting to the Mac world from PCs, and if you are not that computer literate you will find that you are pretty much relearning everything.

Macs are relatively expensive and are great when using resource demanding audio/video editing software, but most will not need the extra power provided when simply storing/playing media.
music, music music...

#4 BlaineS

BlaineS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

You can network an iMac with a PC, though I'm not sure how. A con I do know of is that if you have an external media and you disconnect it without ejecting or shutting down it will be erased. Apple's multimedia capabilities go far beyond the current reach of windows, thought it is catching up with the release of Vista.

#5 BlaineS

BlaineS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

:thumbsup: Thanx riker, info is very helpful and also may explain a prob my daughter had with a vieo. Forwarded your response to her. Hope you don't mind.

#6 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Another issue is that both pcs and macs use different filing systems, pcs using the ntfs format and macs using hfs.

This may give you compatablity problems between the two systems.

Just something to keep in mind.
music, music music...

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

that's if they are not emailing documents, photos, music, whatnot. if they try copying a file from one to the other, it may be an issue, and then again I've not used Leopard so I can not say for certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users