Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Not Recognizing Dvd's

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

Ok I have two friends that both have laptops with DVD recording drives but for some reason both of them are unable to use their dvd drives for dvds only for cds I suggested for both of them to go into device manager and and unistall the dvd/cd drive and reboot the computer to see if that would fix the problem (when Windows would re-recognize the drive) but no luck, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

Because of the different wavelength used for DVD and CD, drives use a dual laser. The commonest cause of this symptom is failure of the DVD section of the laser. A quick way to check is to attempt to boot from a bootable DVD - eg Vista Install DVD or Linux Live DVD, often supplied with computer magazines as a coverdisk. If the drive cannot read the DVD to boot from, but reads a CD OK, then it's a faulty drive. There's a faint possibility that an unusual dirtying of the laser lens is affecting the DVD beam only, so try a lens clean but that's an unlikely cause.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:26 PM

laptop dvd drives/burners are a bad idea, it's hard enough to get a full size one that works right for very long

we see way too many issues with them in support forums, people use them like they were intended for an everyday tool

they are a toy

same analogy with heavy duty gaming and laptops
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

xx66stangxx, See if both of the laptops are able to use a bootable DVD to boot the computer, if they are able to, see if there is any P2P software loaded on the computer. Some P2P software is so poorly written that the installation routine messes up the upper and lower filter settings in the registry.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

will do, thanks!

#6 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

ok I booted up his laptop with my vista dvd and it recognized it and started copying the files so I know it still can recognize dvd's, do you think bearshare could be the cause the dvd not working?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:07 AM

I would suspect corrupted filter drivers from sonic/poxio/itunes etc

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

people think that they can load just about anything on a computer without having problems, it's not a matter of ram or cpu but a problem with badly written software, and there's a lot of that out there

Edited by DaChew, 21 October 2007 - 01:08 AM.

Chewy

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

Bearshare hosed the filters. The links given in DaChew's post should help you fix the issue.

**WARNING** **WARNING** **WARNING** **WARNING**

Don't mess around in the registry if you are unsure about anything, and as always BACKUP

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

or download ImgBurn and let it remove the filters for you

what in the heck is a P2P app doing messing with bus driver for?

Edited by DaChew, 21 October 2007 - 02:20 AM.

Chewy

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:05 AM

DaChew, It does not happen with all machines. The P2P applications don't detect the hardware they just install filters for their own purposes, and to monitor what the users are burning with the free version. I have never seen the paid versions of P2P applications mess up the registry.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a well-designed P2P app - they do what they're supposed to do. The issue comes when they're used to download something that's infected (and is the most common reason for the bad name that P2P has received).

FWIW - At work I've only seen 2 systems with P2P installed that weren't infected (over the last year I've probably seen well over 100 of them). And infections can cause all sorts of havoc with a system. If I get a system in for repair that's got P2P installed, the first thing that I do is check thoroughly for malware - and I've been right in all but the above 2 cases.

So, the troubleshooting should start with some thorough anti-malware scans and once malware is ruled out, the rest of the troubleshooting is generally easy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

I have never seen P2P mess with the bus and I go back beyond napster days, trojans and virii mess with a lot more than the bus.

I try to specialize in this kind of problem, never run into the malware causing it tho.

Never seen it over at my other 2 forums?
Chewy

#13 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

sorry for taking so long to reply, college has been kicking my butt, but I will try and get his laptop so I can try out the suggestions and I will reply back a.s.a.p.

#14 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

If you haven't sorted your problem, could I ask a couple of questions:

- What make and model of laptops are you using?
- The DVD's you are trying to use/open/play/copy are they (i) blank media, (ii) shop brought films, (iii) DVD's created by yourself or another?
- Have you tried a different type of media / blank DVD.

Edited by FireKracker, 30 October 2007 - 07:45 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users