Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scammers, Spammers and other evil-doers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

I was wondering if anybody who has a site up could answer a question for me. Is there any way that by visiting your site I could somehow use up your band width and you get charged extra by your host? I only ask since I would like to hit scammers where it hurts most, in the wallet.
Currently I have 2 methods to vent my frustrations on the offending parties and if you have others please share.

1- My brother has a 6.something camera and on max setting a picture is almost 20mb in size and we take pictures of our butts and call them "personal info" after emailing a few dozen copies we can fill up an email account and hopefully when an innocent gets their email bounced back they might reconsider.

2- This one is fun. Thanks to "who is" and other tools you can find a name and phone number for the person who bought the domain name. I want to call this person and claim to be a reporter for a newspaper and tell them that the internet community has given companies a bad name and that my paper will pay them for their side of the story. When they ask how much I tell them that they can get 5000 plus a lot more. I would get the paper to send them a cheque for 7500 and they keep 5000 and Western Union me the rest. When they ask about the 2500 (and you know they will) I tell them that a contact of mine from an old story is trying to get 2.9 million into the US from an account in Nigeria and they just need us to set up an account and pay transfer fees. When the 2.9 makes it to the US they will give me 900,000 for my trouble and that I'd give him 100,000 for his troubles.

But to get back to original query I'm hoping that by getting many visits to their site they get charged for the traffic. And if so maybe we could post a list of disreputable sites and get everyone to pay them a visit.
And is there a way to contain a virus on my system that I can send to these evil-doers that would delete their address books? Temporary solution, I know, but they'd have to waste time re-entering addys.

Thanks for your help,
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

First of all, you are demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of how spammers work.

If you want pics of your hind-ends (shudder) all over the Internet, thats your business. Juvenile, but still your business.

Your second option is outright fraud, and would have you in jail instead of your would-be victim. Do you really think that legitemate spammers are going to put their real name and phone numbers in a place where you can get to it?

Here's an email return addy of one of the spam e-mails in one of my throwaway boxes:
<greatshape@bluetopscout.com>

The addy resolves to here:
Customer Support (73QUR) liarspoker37@hotmail.com
Hillsdale Media, Inc.
700-76 Broadway #141
Westwood, NJ 07675
United States
Phone: +1 (845)6246201 x 113

You want to try the phone number?

Spammers don't give you valid addresses that you can trace back, They don't need them. Embedded in the spam they send you is a referrer code. When you click on a link, their account gets credited with the referral. And if you buy something, then they get paid.

Spammers also buy thousands of throwaway domains overseas where you can't get to them anyway. In addition, they hijack domains that have expired, but are not yet closed..there are tens of thousands of them laying around.

In addition, they utilize free proxies, and zombie PC's to send out their mailers. You wouldn't even be attacking the right person. The next generation of spam (this is just an educated guess) is that they will send out worms designed to send spam to the emails in your account (just like current worms are used for ddos attacks), and then delete themselves. This way they won't choke your system, and will be untraceable.

Spammers don't make sites that you can visit, and the only sites that you could flood are those trying to run a legitemate business What you are proposing to do is obstruct their business, and that is a felony.

Sending out viruses will also get you arrested..that's illegal too.

They don't waste any time entering email addys. A spammers mailing list contains hundreds of thousands of email addys, and in some cases, tens of millions, and it isn't like they keep them in their Messenger address book. They keep them on disk, and use automated mailers to read the addresses and send out their messages.

If you want to fight spammers, you need to actually know how spammers work. There is a good book called "Inside the Spam Cartel" by SpammerX that will teach you plenty about how it really works.

Cheers!

#3 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

Maybe I should have taken out the spammers part, As they might be next to impossible to fight without legislation, but for scammers I have seen some shady sites and they are definitely scams, I've gotten the typical emails, and these I thought I could do something against.
I wouldn't actually send them a cheque, I'd hope that they'd catch on that they were being pranked when I mentioned Nigeria. Nothing I'd follow thru with on the cheque end, just a little bit of a phone prank. Is there any way by visiting their site often enough (might be huge amount I don't know) that they get an extra bill for band-width? I just hate to see people get taken and the only way I know of is to submit e-mails to FBI site and apparently FCC (so I'm told) but chances are nothing will ever happen to these people.
Will they just get away with it with no consequences??

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, they are going to get away with no consequences unless they really cross the line, or until they get enough complaints...it sucks, I know, but there isn't a lot one can do other than be careful.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

As one who always tries to see humor in even the least-suspected places
I applaud your directed effort, trickyd!ck It was a smile, at least.

The excellent explainations given by groovicus are really some sad but true
facts of life online.
So much time and effort, and dollars too, are spent to make a valuable tool
such as the internet prosper and afford us world-wide information.
It is maddening to think the volume of traffic is so
disgustingly lop-sided in favor of
spammers and con artists.

The work will continue.
Nothing is perfect.

We can try.
:flowers:

In understanding the problem(s) the solutions can't be far away.
It will be appreciated when sufficient nimbers of online users are adequately defensive.

:cool: :inlove: :trumpet: :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

I thought that you all might find this to be an interesting read.

Vigilantes launch attack on scam sites
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users