Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Not Booting Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fallendragon

fallendragon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

I've had this problem for 2-3 days now and I cannot seem to find the issue... driving me nuts it is...

Each time I boot up my laptop, I'll get to a screen that asks me to either go into Startup Repair Mode or Boot up as Normal. Clicking on this first brings me back to that screen (I don't have a Windows DVD, just a Recovery DVD provided when I got the laptop). Clicking on the normal booting option will get me into the loading screen, the one with the little bar at the bottom that just scrolls for a while. After a few seconds I will see a cursor but will not be able to move it, and eventually my laptop will just restart.

I've tried booting into Safe mode, Debugging Mode, Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Mode... even that mode that tells it NOT to restart automatically, and each and every time, after I see the cursor, it restarts on me.

I figured if some file was missing a reformat would fix it... it didn't. I'm pretty sure it's not my BIOS since I can actually turn on the laptop... Opened up my laptop and everything looked alright, so I'm out of ideas. Here's hoping it isn't a hardware problem...

The laptop is an Asus G1s-A1 stock if that helps any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:39 AM

Here's a link to a post that may help you out (but it's not quite the situation that you're describing): http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/53...tml#post5083182

In general, this seems to happen because of corrupted video drivers - so the goal is to remove the current video drivers and revert to the built-in VGA drivers. That should allow you to get into Vista and let you update the drivers. You'll also be looking for anything that will allow you to get to a Command Prompt (which is where Shift and F10 will get you).

In your case, you may have to try the "Shift and F10" thing while attempting Startup Repair. Try it at different times during each of the choices to see if one allows you to get in. Once in, you can use the steps in the link above (starting at Step 9) to switch the graphics adapter driver.

Now, all of the above presumes that this is being caused by your graphics adapter - which may or may not be the case (but the above fix is easier than most others).

If this isn't the case, then I'd have to suggest checking the system for issues. In particular this type of problem was associated with (in XP) issues with the hard drive. Since Startup Repair failed to fix it for you, then I'd have to suggest running a bootable diagnostic utility that's usually available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. In the event that there's no utility available for your make hard drive, a second choice would be Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT) for IDE drives or Seagate's SeaTools for SATA drives.

You can also obtain a free, bootable memory tester from here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Free motherboard testers usually only work in Windows (although you may be able to get one to work with a BartPE CD or an Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD). Otherwise a DOS based mobo tester runs over $400 - although you may be able to get a repair shop to do it for you. If you still have the warranty you may be able to get the test run for free at a repair center or the place that you bought it from.

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2007 - 06:39 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mentor Matt

Mentor Matt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

This could be a hard disk problem. Start into Safe Mode then schedule a full check of all disks that you have. Then restart. I had a similar situation and I got it resolved through shear patience. Check this out also, very carefully, maybe you'll see parallels: http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot.com/20...ank-screen.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users