Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection Although Connected To Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orthanc

Orthanc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

Heeeeeelp please.

I have installed a Belkin wireless G+ router (part # F5D7231uk4)
I connect to the router from my PC via a Belkin USB adapter and my wife's laptop with a card.
The router is connected to my Motorola Cable modem.
Both my PC and the laptop show as connected to the router with strong connection.
However I simply cannot connect to the Internet.
I have tried just about everything that I can think of with no success.

When I cannot my PC directly to the modem I can cannect OK (hence this cry for help being sent).
Not sure what info anybody needs from me but please help as this is stressing me out no end.

I did manage to get everything working after initial problems but all ceased working for no reason.
The only thing that I can think of is that the router is faulty or that maybe the firmware is not up-to-date.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hi Orthanc,

Have you checked your wireless settings?

Connect one of your computers directly for the moment, using both your modem and your Router as instructed.

Go to the link below and click the link to http://10.1.1.1 , even if you cannot connect to the internet. A small logon box will appear.

Follow the instructions under "Setting up WEP on your Belkin Wireless Router", this sets up a secured wireless and hopefully will have a step you may have missed while setting up. Be sure to record you Passphrase and Key 1 that is generated, you will need this to connect your wireless. Use the 64 bit option. Be sure to save your settings at the bottom of the page.

Leave one connected while you try to connect the other computer thru the wireless, you will need the Key 1 to enter, it should save this information so you dont have to enter it everytime. But be sure to save it in a safe place if you need it later.

http://www.iinet.net.au/support/wireless/g...s_security.html

Also, if you check you exact model and version number you can get a firmware upgrade here, it will also give instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

http://www.belkin.com/support/

At the top select "Networking" in the first box this will open choices in the second, select "Wireless", then your exact Model and version, should be found on the bottom of your router. Then select your modem. This should bring up the firmware in the large box below. Be sure you use the proper firmware upgrade for your model. They have helpful information in the same box.

#3 Orthanc

Orthanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

Thanks Crizz44
The issue is definitely not with WEP as I have tried this with it switched off.
I have uninstalled and started again to no avail and, having checked and double-checked all suggested settings, I am of the opinion that there must be a problem with the router itself and will be returning it to the shop for a replacement. Hopefully this will resolve the problem - if not then I will be back asking for help again.
By the way, http://10.1.1.1 is not valid with my router. The correct one is http://193.162.2.1 which I again checked and double-checked.

Thanks for the assistance
Kind regards

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

Your Welcome. I haven't had much luck with Belkin products, but hopefully an exchange will do the trick.

#5 Orthanc

Orthanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

As you took the time to try and help, I thought that I'd just let you know that today I returned the router and exchanged it like for like and hey presto all was working within minutes.
I was tempted to pay more and get a netgear, but there was a part of me that wanted to be sure that it was the router and not me that was at fault.
Again thanks for the assist.
This is such a great site and I'm sure that I'll be busy asking stupid question real soon.

Kind regards..

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Good to hear you figured it out. Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users