Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod, Tried Recovery And Now Invalid Boot.ini File...please Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kristengenell

kristengenell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

I have a compaq presario c304nr which I purchased about 10 months ago. This morning I turned my computer on to see the screen turn blue (BSoD) with a message that said to remove any anti-virus software and so forth. It gave a serious of numbers, one for example 0x00000024 was one of them. But I couldn't go forth, windows wouldn't start. I called tech support and they told me to do a system recovery. I did that and then restarted the computer only to get a black screen that says Invalid boot.ini file Booting from c:\windows\ then nothing. I've tried going in an starting with safe mode but it will not work. My computer did not come with windows disks and stupid me, I never made those recovery disks because I didn't have any blank cds. I tried to do the recovery again, but still the same error. So I guess its safe to say that I have lost everything in my computer. Which really sucks because I was in the middle of writing a book and I had hundreds of photos on there. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get into windows. I've read a bunch of crap at microsoft websites but they all talk of using floppy disks if there are no recovery cds, but my laptop does not have a floppy drive. My computer is still under warranty, but I do not want to send it off for several weeks as I am an online college student and the book that I was writing is due to the publisher soon. Any advice on how I can fix this or should I send it off?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

Effectively the file that instruct windows on how to boot has been corrupted or destroyed. Microsoft has a knowledge base article, "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer, that explains how to over come this problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

You can purchase restore disks from Compaq for about $20 and it takes about 4 days to get them (I last did this a couple of months ago, so prices may have changed).

Here's a link to a description of the STOP 0x24 error message (shorthand for 0x00000024): http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24
It suggests running CHKDSK - which you'll have to boot into some sort of Windows to try. Do you have access to an XP disk that you can borrow? If so, boot from it and at the first screen you'll see something like "To repair a Windows Installation using the Recovery Console press "R" " Press R to start the Recovery Console - you'll be able to run CHKDSK from there.

You can purchase/borrow a USB floppy drive to use the floppy disk methods that you've discovered.

It seems to me that recovering your data (if possible) is the most critical thing here. If so, then I'd suggest booting with a Live Linux CD, a BartPE disk, or an Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to see if you can recover your data. Once the data's recovered, then you can proceed on with the rest of the stuff.

As for warranty repair, see if there's a local place that does warranty repairs - they should be able to diagnose the problem for free (under the warranty).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kristengenell

kristengenell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:53 PM

Thanks guys for the info! HP sent me a new hard drive that I will have to install myself....fun fun. They said if I want to recover my data such as photos and word docs, that I should call geek squad and have them recover the data at my expense before I put the new hard drive in. I can only imagine how much this will cost. How is data recovered from a corrupt hard drive anyway? I'm sure I will pay to find out, lol. I've learned my lesson.....ALWAYS BACK-UP!! Thanks again for the advice.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

That is good to here, kristengenell. If you had to have it replaced at least it will not cost.
When you install the new drive set the old drive to SLAVE and plug it into the second slot on the same drive cable. You may get lucky and only part of the drive is damaged. This is essentially was a tech would do. The other method would involve disassembling the drive and cost a couple of thousand dollars.
The worst that happens is nothing. The best is the drive holds together long enough to recover your information.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

In addition Acklan's suggestion...I find that running chkdsk /r on a drive which has problems...tends to increase the possibility of accessing and removing files from that drive. This is after you have moved the drive to another system as a slave.

Worst case, it won't do any harm.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users