Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe Operation Failed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smok1109

smok1109

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

when I'm turning on my computer in normal mode or safe mode, my computer says "lsass.exe- operation failed, the requested operation was unsuccessful" and then restart. The only way i can get it to work is to go to f8 and use the last good configuration.

what has happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of similar reports about this issue with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. One possible cause with lsass.exe problems is malware.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?

You should also download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.
click on the link "Skip the details and download the tool".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 smok1109

smok1109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of similar reports about this issue with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. One possible cause with lsass.exe problems is malware.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?

You should also download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.
click on the link "Skip the details and download the tool".

my computer wont boot in safe mode...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

Did you download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool in normal mode?

You still did not answer what OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

If your using Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a crash occurs. You should be able to see the error causing this by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet".

An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. You can use Google to search the error code or use the links below to investigate and troubleshoot.

"Extract troubleshooting info from Windows XP BSOD error messages".
"How to Find BSOD Error Messages".
"Events and Errors Message Center"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 smok1109

smok1109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

the tool said that my computer isn't infected, but something is clearly wrong.

and i will write down the error message when it crashes again.

Did you download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool in normal mode?

You still did not answer what OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

If your using Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a crash occurs. You should be able to see the error causing this by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet".

An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.

• Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. You can use Google to search the error code or use the links below to investigate and troubleshoot.

"Extract troubleshooting info from Windows XP BSOD error messages".
"How to Find BSOD Error Messages".
"Events and Errors Message Center"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users