Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Vs Laptop/docking Station Performance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wbrennan

wbrennan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

It is time for me to consider a new PC. These days - laptops are certainly attractive and I would love the portability. But I still want the best peformance for my money. I see docking stations for laptops that seemingly convert the laptop to a desktop. But will I take a significant performance hit going this way? By significant - I mean something that I will actually notice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

I suspect we will need to know what you want to do with that new system.

You can buy some very powerful notebook computers today, however, for the same amount of money you can most assuredly purchase a more powerful desktop PC.

Heat dissipation is a very important aspect of the hotter CPU's and the higher end GPU's, and desktop systems provide a much more easily cooled environment.

If you have a need, even occassionally, to make use of the portability of a notebook PC, then it may make sense to look at one that may meet your current requirements and give you most of the best of both worlds.

The ASUS Model C90 series, for example, has a DX10 capable video card and can handle Intel Core 2 Extreme processors.

It is almost a matter of what you want to do, and how many $$$'s (or equivalent) you have.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users