Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol And Xbox Live

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

Friend of mine had AOL setup via a single port ADSL\Ethernet router which worked fine with his computer (WXP SP2) and XBox. That router\modem then died.
He's just got an XBox 360, so he brought a new router to connect PC and XBox to the internet.

Neither him nor me can get the new router to work with AOL for his PC or the XBox. The XBox reports that it cant't connect to the DNS servers, and neither can the router.

I've never setup a router for AOL before, but specifing the user name and password for the PPP connection doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

(Can't quite remember what the modem was. "Zoom" was the brand I think.)

Thanks
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Usually you have to configure the router accordingly to your ISP.

Beyond that, most people place the XBOX on DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) for ease of use with xbox Live.
NAT ( Or Network Address Translation) which is the process of changing IP of your internal address to
your public IP is the best feature of/and necessary for a router to work as expected.

You can make NAT open and still expect functionality but security is minimal. search for Network Address Translation
on wikipedia.org for more info. You May want to try bungie.net or howstuffworks.com for more info.

The basic idea is, once you have your internet connection up and running, you need to designate a
Physical PORT to DMZ. Your Xbox should be connected to this physical port then.

Hope this helps

Anything further, please ask. There are plenty of people here to help. I'm usually playing Halo 3 by this time
so I may not reply for a few days.

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:54 AM

My Friend paid someone else to set it up for him in the end.
The XBox was already set up to allow incoming connections to\from it and the internet through NAT.
The main issue was not being able to get the router to pick up the DNS settings from AOL.

Thanks anyway
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users