Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Connection Problems -- Ethernet?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Breeze530

Breeze530

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:51 AM

I'm using XP & had DSL service with SBCGlobal for 2 yrs with the same set-up I have now. Suddenly, about 3 mos ago I could no longer connect except with the dial-up modem. I've talked with many reps & tried everything they told me to do & even they can't find the problem.
I have a Speedstream 5360 modem & a Kingston RX111TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor. My modem no longer shows the ethernet light except to slightly blink when I first turn it on & then stays off. On the Device Mgr the light for the adaptor will turn red, but when I enable it, it will say it's working properly. I've tried turning the modem & computer off many times, buying a new cable, & setting up new connections. Nothing works.

The one thing I wonder about is that I can't get a new driver for the Kingston because it's no longer being supported. Could that be the problem? Do I need a new card?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

Try deleting the Ethernet Adaptor in the Device Manager and then reboot your computer. Windows should then recognise it as new hardware and reinstall it using the default Windows driver. If this doesn't work then try to locate a copy of the last driver that was released before Kingston stopped supporting it and install that. Another thing you can try is to reset the Winsock settings. You can reset these by doing the following.

Log on as Administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: "cmd"
Type: "netsh winsock reset"
When it is finished you should receive the following message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Breeze530

Breeze530
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

Thanks so much for the advise. I'll try it tonite & let you know how it went.

Try deleting the Ethernet Adaptor in the Device Manager and then reboot your computer. Windows should then recognise it as new hardware and reinstall it using the default Windows driver. If this doesn't work then try to locate a copy of the last driver that was released before Kingston stopped supporting it and install that. Another thing you can try is to reset the Winsock settings. You can reset these by doing the following.

Log on as Administrator.
When it is finished you should receive the following message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."

#4 Breeze530

Breeze530
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

[I tried both things & neither worked. It just sets it back up exactly as it was & still won't work.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

quote name='Budapest' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:17 AM' post='641102']

Log on as Administrator.
[/quote]

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:26 AM

You may already have tried this, but you could try setting up a new internet connection using the Internet Connection Wizard and see if that works.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Breeze530

Breeze530
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:58 AM

You may already have tried this, but you could try setting up a new internet connection using the Internet Connection Wizard and see if that works.

Thanks. But, yes, I have tried that several times. I just went & bought a new D-Link ehternet card today & had my cord checked at the store to make sure it works. Now I just have to get the energy to put the new card in & cross my fingers when I do....
Thanks again for all your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users