Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help For Choosing Right Securiy Tools For My Pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skunu2

skunu2

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

I use win xp pro with sp2 .I have 352 mb ram and have Amd athlon™ xp 2000+1.66ghz processor.curently i am using only avg free antivirus as my security protection tool.Please suggest me what more tools i should install in my pc for effective protection.I saw the[topic="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?act=findpost&pid=0"]Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps[/topic] but the list is so long and there are so much of choices to make that i got confused.Please help me with some specific name of antivirus and spyware and other whatever requird tools i should install.Free tools will be great but if some pro version is better than free tools please mention that.Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

I would suggest Avg Anti-Spyware, Superantispyware, a-squared, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, & Comodo Firewall, Comodo BoClean.

#3 skunu2

skunu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

Thank you Maabsta for attending my question.Here are some more doubtss that I will like to clarify.

1)i was using avg antispyware and superantispyware(free) on my last Xp installation (i had the same system configuration but i had to format for some reason) i think they eat too much of resources.The avg spyware was making my startp too late.Can you suggest me some alternative spyware which will be light(if pro versions then also it will do) but if these are the best option then i will definitely use these.

2)I have not used any of the other tools definitely will like to give them a try.I have a very bad experience with firewall thing last time i used them(zone alarm-free), they made a mess with my net connection i had to reformat my pc for getting back my internet connection.

3)Also i was reading somewhere hat it is good to use two antivirus programmes.Can u throw some light on this becos in avg site it is mentioned that using of two antivirus programme at the same time make the system unstable.

Thank you again for your help and support

Edited by skunu2, 19 October 2007 - 07:53 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Do not have two anti virus programs installed on your system. There will be conflicts. What you can use is an online virus scanner. I usually run Eset every couple of weeks. The link is below. Look, anything you install on your computer is going to take up a certain amount of resources. I'm more concerned about the effectiveness of the product and both AVG Anti-Spyware & Super Anti Spyware are effective products. I just use them as on demand scanners. I assume the paid version is a little different.

http://www.eset.eu/online-scanner

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Just a point, Ad-Aware 2007, worked in conjunction with SpyBot Search and Destroy are as good a combination for spyware detection and removal as any, if not better than most...............and they are free.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

You should use:

1. One resident AV with real-time protection, such as AVG.
2. At least a resident firewall. Either Comodo or Sygate are very good and not very resource intensive.
3. At least two resident Anti-sypware applications, preferably with some kind of real-time protection especially if you are not careful about your surfing habits. I prefer AVGAS in combination with SuperAntispyware, but any listed in the Freeware Replacements topic have been used by our Members. I no longer use or recommend the new AdAware2007.
4. An alternate browser such as Opera or Firefox. The latter has add-ons that can supplement #3.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Except it's pretty well known at this point that the latest edition of Ad Aware is more resource heavy than previous versions. Guys have been whining about it since it was released. Four years ago those two programs were the best. Not anymore.

#8 skunu2

skunu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

Thank you guys for the help and guidence. right now i am using
1)AVg anti virus(free edition)
2)bo clean
3)spyware blaster
I will install avg antspyware soon.Please comment on my selection.Thank you again for your help and invaluable guidence :thumbsup:

Edited by skunu2, 22 October 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#9 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have two security arrays that I recommend. I use both. One is mixed commercial and the other is freeware, both behind router.

NOD32 Antivirus
Prevx2
Sandboxie
SpywareBlaster

Ondemand scanners Spybot S&D, Panda Antirootkit, AVG Antispyware, and ewido microscanner and Clamwin which I keep on 128 MB usb drive for second opinion. On the other computer I have the same ondemand scanners, but the main apps are
Avira Antivir Personal EditionClassic (It is the best free antivirus and is better than most commercial; although it does not scan email, if you download an attachment and try to run an infected it stomps. For firefox you can get the extension Download Statusbar and it allows scansion of downloads. Also with Firefox use the extensions NoScript and Cookiesafe, and McAfee's SiteAdvisor))
Threatfire
SpywareBlaster
Sandboxie

With both arrays I use the Windows Firewall. It is much maligned, but it stealths your system. If you dont let nasties in, you dont worry about the outward; although Prevx and Threatfire will more than suffice for outbound protection. Use Opera or Firefox as your browser. Both are light on resources. Only NOD32, Antivir, Prevx, and Threatfire are realtime; Sandboxie only when you use it. I also use IceSword, but it requires a bit of training to use; also Rootkitrevealer, though good, requires some knowledge to use. Both are good and free.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#10 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

My processor is very similar to yours AMD Athlon 2400+ 1.66Ghz. I have more RAM 1meg but have Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

I use Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware)
Avira Antivir antivirus (freeware) as well as running 24/7 I do an added manual weekly scan myself.
Comodo Boclean (freeware)
Spyware Blaster (freeware) I use these as real time devices and they are allowed on my start up list.

You can also download and install a freeware program called Autoruns (links found on these forums) and check what is running on your PC against the list supplied here at BP.Com

I also have AVG AntiSpyware (free edition) and Super Antispyware (freeware) installed on my PC but these do not run on start up. I use them manually on a weekly Rota basis updating them as I use them. I have also had installed Spybot S&D 3.5 (freeware)and AdAware 2007(freeware) but found I had problems with the new version of Adaware it conflicted with Boclean (I think) and as Spybot never ever found anything on my PC due I believe to the effectiveness of AVG and Super Antispyware I uninstalled them both.

I use Firefox as my browser and use the Adblock and No-Scripts add ons for added security.

Once every couple of months I defragment my hard drive and then use the Free Windows Live One Care PC scan.

I prefer to run the Spyware scans manually as I believe the less security stuff you have running at start up causes less conflicts. If like me you stay away from dodgy sites and peer to peer programs you should not find much. my weekly scans now have at most 1-3 tracking cookies which have managed to evade my security settings.

I am very happy with the above security measures and have never had a serious problem with them. I have tried most of the freeware on offer here from Firewalls to Anti Spyware and have found that the above works best for my machine and peace of mind.

Something else I should have mentioned is that when you do a manual scan with any of the above programs then switch off BoClean temporarily. I found it tended to crash my PC if I left it working while I scanned my PC.

Edited by bluesjunior, 31 October 2007 - 08:18 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#11 skunu2

skunu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions and guidance.This will really help me a lot.god bless you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users